Chapter 13- Arian

Arian watched through the warped mirror in front of him as the girl dashed out and into the garden. He sighed heavily as the image went black, the connection to her, lost.

His head throbbed and he massaged his temples. After every moon cycle he fought the effects of his beast taking over, but it was stronger this time. Most likely due to the stress of his brother now knowing Harlow existed. His Marked.

She didn't trust him, not that he blamed her. Though she'd had several interactions with him, she didn't know who he was, or what he was to her. Perhaps it was time to pay her a visit in person. He couldn't hide her from Oricus forever but getting her out of the city was a start.

As if his thoughts had awoken his prisoner, chains rattled from the other room. A long string of Scondeladian curses followed. Then the sounds of struggling.

Arian downed the last of his liquor, then pushed up from his leather armchair. He glanced down at the blank mirror once more, before straightening his tie and exiting his study.

He entered the furthest room in his old family home where his brother remained chained in a chair, and bloodied. His head lifted upon Arian's arrival, his pale hair looking almost white in the rays of the suns. A smirk curved his lips, one split and oozing blood, while shrewd grey eyes assessed Arian.

"Where'd you hide her, brother?" Oricus's tongue darted out to wet his lips. A snake-like action from a snake-like man. He leaned as far forward as the coils of chains around his middle would allow. "Let me guess, right under my nose?"

Arian didn't answer as he began the work of rolling up his sleeves. He hated getting blood on his expensive shirts.

Oricus continued to needle. "She wasn't on your private estate; you've been far too big of an asshole for that. No, if your Marked was anywhere remotely near you, the two of you would be bonded by now." He cocked his head to the side thoughtfully. The dried blood on his temple cracked.

Guess he'd have to make it bleed some more.

Oricus's eyes lit with glee. "Oh, how wonderful. Your Marked doesn't know you exist. She's just been living her life while you go on pining for her like a dog in heat." He snorted.

Arian's blood heated.

"I can't imagine how hard it must be knowing she'd been fucking other guys while you—"

His fist connected with Oricus's cheek; the crack a melody that stirred his blood. A welcome warmth permeated his muscles.

Oricus laughed despite the ugly gash now on the side of his face. "Tell me then, brother, do you know how many guys have fucked her, or do you live in ignorance?"

Arian launched his fist into his brother's face again, then bent over Oricus and whispered, "No one will touch what is mine, as you well know. I've kept every male away that's ever tried." Until last night. He wasn't sure if he'd been too late. The fire had successfully forced her from the human's apartment, but they'd both looked disheveled. And smell of the male on her skin had nearly cleaved him in two. He had precautions and blocks in place for these types of events in California. People that watched her and kept her from harm.

She'd chosen the worst possible time to go to New York. But he still had ways of making sure she was taken care of.

Yet his stomach tightened at the thought that she'd perhaps given her body to another. It made his claws lengthen. His canines sharpened. He hadn't been able to get close enough to tell if she'd smelled of sex—arousal yes, it'd been thick and cloying around them both, but he'd been forced to keep to the shadows.

Oricus chuckled again as Arian drew himself up to his full height. "Just as well," his brother shrugged. "Ruining her life because you refuse to have her will only ensure she'll never be yours. She'd hate you if she ever found out." His grin widened and Arian's fists tightened. Every inch of him begged to pummel his brother into unconsciousness again.

"It doesn't matter," Arian said tightly. "I never will have her." And maybe one day he'd allow her to settle down and have a family. It was the least he could do for her after all the pain he'd caused her.

Oricus sighed, looking down at his lap.

Arian paused, but the moment was short lived. His brother's soft laugh reached his ears and he tensed. Oricus laughed louder, throwing his head back to roar his amusement.

Taking a step closer Arian watched his insane brother with something like pity.

When Oricus's laughter died down, tears of hysteria tracked paths down his dirty cheeks. "I know how to punish you, brother." He said it as if offering a solution to an urgent issue. Yet his lips still twisted into a wicked grin. His next words were spoken low. Menacing. "I always planned to take your Marked from you. And I will. I'll take her from you and fuck her until only my name spills from her lips."

Blood rushed in his ears as Arian struck his brother. Once. Twice. His fists burned, coming away hot and red.

Oricus's words were drowned out by the shattering of bone, then the crash of his chair as it tilted back.

The wood shattered, making the enchanted chains loose. Oricus's smile was feral. Wide and bloody as he lurched for Arian, catching him around the neck.

With a snap, the world went black.

[[To read more you can find the complete story on Amazon--FREE with Kindle Unlimited!]]