We'd finally found our way back to each other and didn't have time to enjoy it. The drama with her folks got in the way. Factor in the everyday things, like school and ruthless practices, and we had five minutes if we were lucky.

"Heather didn't mention any of this."

"It just happened," she mumbled. "Lucas is going to be pissed."

"I think he'll be proud of you." I nuzzled the top of her head. "You're sticking up for yourself, Laine. Making your own decisions is a huge step, and your brother will understand that."

"Maybe." She let out a yawn and settled against me.

"Pancakes in the morning?"

There was the slightest of nods before she stilled. Her breathing found that rhythm that lulled me to sleep. Knowing that she was safe was all that I needed to be able to relax. Lucas and I were the only ones who knew how much she worried about all of us. It wasn't until this year that she started enjoying life for herself. Seeing her at the field parties, and on the field. It was like a new Blaine had taken over.

Over the last few months, the shy girl had stepped into the spotlight. She embraced the praise and the attention. Honestly, I never thought she would be that girl. It hadn't completely changed who she was though. She hadn't started dressing up for school, or gave up her battered converse. Now that she was playing football, I think she'd become the truest version of herself. Her brother had seen it, too. We all had, and it was a blessing.

Blaine was still asleep when I woke the next morning. Unlike when we'd found her on the couch, she looked peaceful. It had been weeks since I'd seen her look like that. I felt a pang of guilt as I slipped out of the bed. She was able to let her worries and stress wash away, but only in her sleep. That wasn't who Blaine was.

"Where were you hiding," Shane mused when I found my way into the kitchen. His mother smacked the back of his head while offering me a cup of fresh coffee.

"I know I raised you better than to be prying into people's business." The warm smile she gave me silently invited me to have a seat. "I thought for sure you two would still be asleep after last night."

"It's hard to sleep when a freight train is in the room next door." Shane tilted his head as he looked at me. "Think you can convince your girlfriend to trade rooms again?"

"Not happening." I could see the comment lingering in his eyes as feet padded down the stairs. Lucas was mid yawn when he strolled into the kitchen. His brow was knitted together as he took in all of us.

"Was it the beer or did I see Laine on the couch last night?"

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," Mrs. Russel teased as she set a mug in front of Lucas. "She must have gone upstairs at some point last night. Does anybody want to explain to me why she's here?"

"I wish I knew," Lucas grumbled past the hand rubbing his face. Shane looked at me from over the rim of his own mug.

"All she said was that your folks knew she'd be staying here. Sounded like they might have had a fight."

"No surprise," Shane snorted. Another smack shut him up.

"Hurricane Blaine. Predicted to make landfall as a category five in a week." Lucas' body was hunched over the table, his fingers laced at the back of his neck.

"You Lester's," Mrs. Russel tsked. "You're so hard on each other."

"Sorry," Lucas asked, picking his head up to look at the woman who had become the only mother figure he needed.

"Your sister has put up with a lot of shit from you boys. She came here for the same reason as you, so don't go making her feel guilty. None of you. Is that understood?"