Nodding, she took in a deep breath, almost seeming to resign herself. "Well, I'll stop keeping you two. It was great to meet you, Hunter."

He nodded, eyeing her with a caring gaze. "You, too. Thank you."

"And sweetheart, please think about meeting me this Saturday? I'd love to go to the fresh market together and catch up." She no longer spoke with hope. It was her last attempt.

I couldn't let her down. Not again. She was still my mom and I still loved her. So, I nodded. I could do that. I could try. "Okay," I said, my voice unclear.

But she caught it. "Really?"

I nodded. "I'll meet you there at 8 in the morning?"

"Yes, of course. That sounds great!" She was smiling now, that bit of hope back in her eyes.

"Alright, I'll see you then, mom," I said stiffly, "Thank you for letting me in today."

She gave me a nod. "Of course. Please drive safely."

Hunter and I nodded before she turned to walk away. She waved back at us as we both got into the car and we waved back. Then she walked inside and locked the door.

After we sat quietly for a while, Hunter spoke up. "How are things?"

I turned away from my childhood home and looked up at him. "Better."

He nodded. "That's good. She seems nice."

"She is. We just need to work our way back to where we were before everything blew up in our faces."

"You will," he said so confidently, "you just gotta give it time. And put in the work."

My heart swelled as I watched him. "I know. Thank you...you know, for everything."

He leaned in to capture my lips, melting my resolve and hardness that was surrounding me from the moment inside with my mom.

Then he pulled away but didn't go far. "Guess what?"

I silently thanked him for changing the subject. I couldn't talk about what had just happened anymore, at least not right now. I needed a second to breathe.

I let out a soft chuckle. "We should get to Nina and Dan's fast before they beat us there and see we've failed?"

He thought it through for a second. "True, but she's not getting released until later tonight. She texted me while you were inside."

"Oh good, okay. So what's up then?"

He was beaming at me with that gorgeous smile and those eyes that sometimes made me stutter. "The reconstruction on the building is done and Peter said he closed in on it."

I blinked. "Wait, seriously?"

He nodded excitedly.

"Oh my God! That's amazing! I didn't know he was looking into buying a building."

He shook his head. "He mentioned it once or twice in therapy. He's been meaning to move his firm anyway but I think buying it helps him take control of his healing. He almost took his life in that building and now....now he can rebuild a full and healthy life." The look in his eyes as he spoke about his best friend filled me up with pure joy. This was everything. Him happy and healthy, right alongside his closest friends.

"That's incredible! I'm so happy for him," I practically squealed, bringing him into the world's awkwardest hug with the console right in between us, but we still managed. "What's he going to do with it again?"

"He's moving his Real Estate firm there. Chris, Benji, Abel, and I are gonna help him settle in. I offered to help furnish some of the rooms and he accepted so, yeah," he said, all energized. He was so cute, it was ridiculous.

I giggled. "I'm so happy for you guys. You're doing it!"

"I know," he grinned, bringing me in for a quick kiss, "that's how I know you can do it, too."

~~~

(please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for all the support)

- what are your thoughts on this chapter?

- what do you like most and/or dislike most about this story (don't be afraid to be brutally honest)?

- what do you think about Liv's mom?

- what would you do if you were in Liv's situation?

- what do you think about Hunter and Liv (separately and as a couple)? 

Hunting Cheaters | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें