I nodded. "I'll see if he's open to it."

She took in an unsteady breath. "Please do."

I chewed on my lip for a second, unsure if I should tell her, but said screw it in the end. "Hunter's outside."

Finally, a real smile took hold of her lips. Relief washed over me at the sight. My mom crying or even being sad hurt me. Today was no different. "Your boyfriend?"

I nodded.

"Why doesn't he come in?"

"He got a phone call right as we parked, but um...I think he wanted to give us space anyway. You know, to talk."

She nodded. "So he knows."

"He's the one who helped me find Noah."

She smiled, but it was a proud one. "Good. He sounds good for you."

I chewed my lip, even more, noticing the distance between us. It terrified me unlike anything else. I didn't know how to fix it. I wanted to hug her, tell her I love her, and do anything to wipe that sad look off her face. But my heart was still broken and my trust was bent way out of shape.

So, I only nodded. "He is."

"You should invite him in if that's okay. I'd love to meet him."

I think I tasted blood at how much I was chewing on my lip. "Um, what if you stepped out and met him instead?"

I saw the hope crash in her eyes and felt the heaviness in my heart at seeing her hurt. Only, my open wounds hurt more, way way more and I couldn't concentrate on her eyes anymore.

"Okay," she simply said.

I nodded. I took one good look around at my childhood home and hoped that one day, soon hopefully, I can feel just as safe and loved as I did just weeks ago in this space. Then I turned and led her out of the house and down the driveway where Hunter was waiting. He'd finished his phone call and was scrolling through his phone.

When he heard the door close behind us, he turned in our direction. His eyes widened when he caught sight of my mom behind me. I offered him an apologetic look for springing this on him. He shook his head at me with a warm smile, calming my racing heart.

He quickly got out of the car and rounded to the other side as we approached him.

As soon as I got a whiff of his scent, I breathed out a breath of relief. The tightness in my neck left quickly, leaving me with whiplash as my body relaxed.

"Ms. Bailon, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Hunter," he said, his voice deep and smooth. He held out his hand to her.

She took his hand and shook it once and said, "it's nice to meet you, too, Hunter. You can call me Elizabeth," before pulling him into a hug.

I smiled at the sight before me, my heart warming up.

"Thank you," he replied as they pulled away.

"No, thank you for taking care of my daughter when I couldn't. You've done for her more than I can ask and I can't thank you enough," she said, her voice weakening toward the end.

He nodded awkwardly, looking to me for help. "It's no problem. Liv did most of it. I just offered my support."

She sniffed, shooing away her tears that way I've seen her do a million times before. "Still, thank you. Perhaps I can have you both over one day for lunch?"

Hunter nodded. "I'd love that."

She turned me then with hope in her eyes. I nodded slowly. "Yeah, one day."