Chapter 26 - Archer's POV

Start from the beginning

"How fucking dare you," he seethed. I didn't have a defence, and I didn't blame him. So I just stared back. My lack of reaction seemed to piss him off more as he pushed my chest hard, sending me back into the locker. The sharp metal stung my back as it shot between my shoulder blades, but I didn't stop him. I deserve this.

James and Tyler finally seemed to break from their trance as they jumped forward to flank Emmett, holding him back. Emmett fought against their hold, nearly breaking free several times. I had to hand it to the kid, he was brave. No one else would have messed with me like that, not without expecting to have hell to pay.

"Get the fuck off of me," Emmett struggled, "He fucking deserves it! Tell them what you did you piece of shit." I flinched at his words. The same words my dad had spat at me last night.

Tyler and James were both snapping their heads back and forth, trying to make sense of Emmett's anger and my lack of a reaction.

"What is he talking about?" James finally asked. I couldn't verbalize what I'd done, the pain I caused. So I just hung my head, ashamed of myself.

"He fucking kissed Charlotte, then told her she didn't mean anything to him," Emmett raged, still fighting against the hold of the other boys. I couldn't lift my head to see the reactions of my team. They had all come to care about Charlotte in their own way. Sure, some of them would definitely make a move if I weren't there. But most of them had begun to see her like a little sister.

I didn't bother correcting Emmett that I had actually said the kiss didn't mean anything—not her. Either way, I'd been lying and I was a coward. The silence from my team told me everything I needed to know. They thought so too.

"What the fuck is happening out here?" Coach barked from the doorway. Tyler and James quickly released Emmett but it was too late. Coach had already seen him being held back, and me with a bruising jaw. Fuck that kid could throw a punch. "Reynolds, you better have a really good excuse for getting violent in my locker room. USC has a zero policy for fighting on the team."

Emmett stared back at the coach's harsh glare. He didn't respond immediately but he also didn't cower away. "It was my fault coach," I said finally lifting my face fully for everyone to see. I must have looked bad because even Coach got shifty like he was uncomfortable. I'd already looked pretty rough coming in here with pale skin and deep bags. But now a stinging sensation was coming from my eyes and I knew I looked like a pussy about to cry.

"Trust me, I deserved it," I sighed as I fell back tiredly against the lockers. I didn't bother looking at Emmett. I hadn't said that for his forgiveness, he just didn't deserve to get kicked off the team for being more of a man than I could be.

"Alright, then finish getting geared up quickly and get on the field," Coach snapped and disappeared into his office.

I turned to see Emmett, Tyler, and James all still staring at me unsurely. The rest of the team had gone back to getting ready but I knew they were listening. "I'm fucking sorry, okay?" I said quietly. "I fucked it up I know. But Charlotte deserves better than me so it's better this way."

Emmett nodded slowly, having calmed down but clearly still angry. "You're right. She deserves the best, so if you can't man up, then stay the hell away from her," he warned before walking back to his locker.

"She's a good girl, bro. You just can't fuck around with girls like that," Tyler added apologetically before he followed Emmett.

James sat next to me on the bench, bumping my shoulder but staying silent for a moment. "I don't know man," he finally spoke, "I think she was good for you, you were good for each other."