~sixteen~

Faye's Pov

"Like a date?"

Josh's face blushed lightly, he was thankful for the lack of light around them, only the flashlight illuminating their face's.

"I-I mean...I...um" he stumbled over his words, making Faye laugh.

"Josh calm down, I was only jokin-"

"No, no" he interrupted her, "it is a date, only if you want, though" he looked scared for her answer, unsure of what it could possibly be; fearing rejection.

"I'd love to" she smiled, also glad that he couldn't see her blush.

"Good, it's a date" she laughed at his wording as she nodded.

"I guess it-"

"This is way longer than ten fucking minutes!" A sudden shout came from down the hallway right before the timer went off.

"Nope," she smirked looking at the two boys walking towards them, "ten minutes"

"Ten minutes my ass" Jaden grumbled, his arms crossed as he stomped to the old sofa, slumping down.

"Did you see a ghost, is that why you're so grumpy?" Faye teased, walking towards Jaden with her pointer finger wiggling, teasing him more.

"Shut the fuck up, can we just sleep already so we can go?"

"Sounds like a plan to me" Bryce spoke from the floor where he was already laid down, one pillow under his head with the other cuddled into his arms; a warm looking blanket wrapped securely around him, his eyes already closed.

"Sure, I guess Bryce is done for the night anyways" she smiled, looking to Josh who was trying his best to fluff up his backpack in a make shift pillow, not having a blanket to wrap round him; poor planning on his part.

"Do you need a blanket?" She whispered to him after ten minutes, Bryce was already snoring and Jaden seemed to be sleeping, but Josh had been tossing and turning.

"If you have a spare one" he whispered back, hearing her sit up.

"Have mine" she told him, throwing her blanket at him.

"What? No," she heard him sit up, throwing it back in her direction, "if you don't have another you take it"

"No Josh-"

"For fucks sake, share the blanket and go to sleep" Jaden groaned from the couch, flipping over to face away from them.

Faye grabbed onto her blanket and backpack, shuffling towards Josh before throwing the thin blanket over the both of them.

"Good night" she whispered to him, turning over to face away from him.

"Night" he whispered back, his hot breath on the back on her neck sending goose bumps down her body.

She could definitely get used to the warmth coming from him. Just knowing that he was only inches away from her made her relax, strangely, Faye had no idea where this feeling was coming from but being with Josh in general made her happier.

It wasn't long before the girl fell asleep, being used to the hard wooden floor underneath her made it a lot easier, but Josh couldn't sleep, not when she was right there with him.

The only light in the room was the streetlights streaming through the gap in the curtains, but it was enough to illuminate her sleeping face. She looked calm, her chest moving up and down steadily as she cuddled into her backpack, it can't have been comfy, he thought.

It had been an hour, at least, and he still couldn't sleep. Josh had reverted to scrolling through twitter, deciding that if he couldn't sleep now he'd just stay awake and sleep in his own bed tomorrow instead.

When suddenly he was shook when the body next to him shot up , breathing heavily as she looked around briskly.

"Faye?" He whispered, sitting up with her, his hand rubbing her back, "are you okay? What's wrong?"

She turned to look at him, still breathing rapidly, before launching forward, her head falling to his chest as she hugged him. He hugged back, confused.

"What are you-" he started to ask but she pulled back, shaking her head.

"Let's just sleep..." she trailed off before adding a quiet, "please"

"Okay" he nodded, seeing the sadness in her eyes as tears threatened to spill.

They laid back down, but this time he pulled her into his body, resting her head on his chest with his arm still wrapped securely around her shaking body.

"It's okay..." he whispered over and over into her hair, pulling her closer when he'd hear her sniff until he thought she was asleep, and strangely, only then with the girl in this arms and her warmth spreading across his body, could he sleep.

However, now it was Faye's turn to be stuck awake.

She couldn't stop replaying the images of her nightmare; which were just a replay of the real memories she harboured in her head.

She remembered; the music playing loudly in her ears as they danced in the car, she remembered; the look on Lacey face as she laughed at Lewis' comment, pointing in his face, trying to distract him on purpose, but most of all she remembered Gracies scream as the car ran off the road, the car flying off the cliff and chucking the group about.

That day had haunted her for the last few years, keeping her awake and occupying her mind every minute of the day, even if it was hiding in the shadows at the back.

That moment would never leave her.

Gracie would never leave her.

——————
Did I reveal this too early and ruin the story? Probably
New book out in the next few days :)