Mission

The colors of the walls and dim lights made it more repelling as Asami walked the long hallways of Republic City jail. She was directed to a room with several tables and two chairs opposite one another. She took a seat at the far-end corner and waited. Her eyes scanned the room, symmetrical rows of the same furniture, with all shades of gray. She took in the measurements of each door, door handle, pins, rods, a lack of sunlight due to the rectangular windows, barely letting anything in or perhaps, entrapping the objects inside.

Asami would always study the structures and materials whenever she goes into a building, more so a room to get a grip on her surroundings. What the normal eye sees, the engineer eye magnifies it. Always amused with the shapes and figures and the how, what, when, and why it was the way it was.

She learned to work with tools that create a remarkable model from the man walking towards her. He found his way from the opposite chair in front of her.

The unsettling feeling may have come out and presented itself on her face as Asami drew her father in. The color of the walls, tables, doors, pens, chairs, and jail seemed to settle in Hiroshi's whole being. Gray clothes, gray hair, gray eyes. Hollow eyes. For a second, Asami forgot the anger she piped deep down the abyss of her soul, ready to lash out at the man sitting in front of her. However, this was a different man, and she can only look at him with wide eyes.

"Asami, you came." Hiroshi started; a slight gleam caught in his eye as he settled to his chair.

Tightening the grip on her shoulder bag, pulled out a stack of unopened envelopes, but the hand holding it stayed under the table. Unsure. Asami could only respond, "Hi, dad."

"How are you?" He looked at her as if he longed for this, for her daughter to finally visit her.

Last night, she planned out a mission to look for Korra. As she neared the almost empty mansion, with no one to confide to but the sounds of Mako's extended family ringing in the guest house up to the desolated hallways, she became frantic.

She wasn't sure why she was so afraid suddenly. She wanted to look for Korra, she wanted her safe. The worry Asami felt as she tried to close her eyes and let sleep take her but didn't come that night, she needed something familiar. She needed something that was connected to her, but the heiress wouldn't admit that to herself. She asked Tin for them to stop by the police station before they left, and now she's here. Intentions unclear.

She mustered up sufficient energy to put the hand holding the letters on the table. "I came to bring this back."

"You never opened them." Hiroshi looked at the stack of envelopes with the same hollowness he came in with.

"I didn't want to read what you had to say." Instant regret washed over Asami as he saw her dad hurt at her words. Why is she regretting it? Isn't this what she wanted? She started again, "Wha- How are you ?"

Hiroshi's lips twitch upward for a second but form a thin line right after.

"I've had a lot of time to reflect," He paused, "with everything," He met her daughter's gaze briefly, then looked down, "I wanted to reach out to you, let you know how sorry I am."

Asami was supposed to return the letters, stand up, and never look back. But her body couldn't move. It wouldn't budge. Her eyes still settled at the man's whole being. She can feel her anger fading as her emotions betray her by feeling a flash of concern.

When she didn't respond, Hiroshi continued,

"I made a lot of mistakes, mistakes since your mother died. I was blindsided by rage, fear. The feeling of helplessness in a world where bending is looked up to."