Hotshot

12:32 PM.
It was 12:32 PM.
America wrestled his blanket away from his tangled legs and scrambled out of bed. How long had he been asleep? America jogged down the stairs, tying his sweat pants drawstrings into a quick knot. Why didn't anyone wake him up? He tugged on a NASA hoodie and rushed out the door and towards the stairs.
The last thing he remembered was worrying about Dixie and that weird dream of his. Did he really drift off that fast?
As he walked down the hall and bounded down the stairs he was greeted with a clean living room and the sound of silence.
Silence was never good in America's household.
America crept through the house, listening for any type of noise to convey a surprise dodgeball attack and looking around for anything that might've been broken. Nothing. There was only one place they could go, and that was outside.
America cautiously walked across the living room and stopped at the back door. He prepared himself mentally, pushed the door open, and stepped out into the porch.
Sure enough, a water balloon whistled towards him, and he jumped out of the way just in time. It smacked against the outside of the house and popped on the porch with a splat.
"PAUSE!" A nearby tree bellowed. "Dad's awake!"
A swarm of states popped out of bushes and rolled out from under the porch. They were all dressed in camouflage and were armed with water guns and balloons. Most of them were soaking wet.
"Hey, kiddos." America wheezed as they all flocked around him, squeezing each other into a huge group hug.
"Afternoon pop!" Georgia said, brushing some dirt off his green-and-brown shirt.
"Did ya sleep alrigh?"
"Missed you." Hawaii mumbled as she nuzzled the leg she was clinging to.
America smiled and pulled as many of them as close to him as he possibly could. Some of them groaned and tried to wiggle free. While they were in his grasp, America asked, "Why didn't anyone wake me up?"
"That was sorta on purpos'." New York said sheepishly.
"Ya." Oklahoma (who was clinging to America's waist) interrupted.
"North Dak mighta put about five allergy pills into your water last night when you weren't looking." South Dakota said, earning a dirty look from her sister.
"It may or may not've been planned." Michigan sniffed.
America sighed. "You really think I wouldn't 've gone to sleep?"
"Duh!"
"Really Dad?"
"When was the last time you went to sleep without us making you!"
"Alright, alright." America said, ruffling Mississippi's hair. "Just don't drug me up again, ok?"
Everyone mumbled a "yes" or grumbled an "OK."
"No promises." Alabama grinned.
America smiled again and gave his kids one last big squeeze. "Where's Dixie?"
"He went out to the garage to get some 'ore water balloons." Delaware said.
America attempted to move towards the garage, but the States decided to cling on to every limb he had. America ended up dragging a good chunk of them along with him to the garage, most of them giggling. America clomped up to the thick door and pushed it open, Arizona dangling from his arm.
Dixie was sitting cross-legged on the ground, humming to himself as he filled up water balloons. He looked up and smiled at his brother. "Good morn'. Sleep good?"
"Oh ya." America said, trying to detach Florida from his leg. "You?"
"Best sleep I've had in years." Dixie said, standing up. "Best sleep I've ever had, actually."
"Dad." Arkansas said, adjusting her grip on his elbow. "We've been in quarinteen for ages now -"
"If you're asking what I think you're asking," America interrupted, "you already know the answer."
"But daaaaaaad!"
"Pleeeeeeeeease!"
"We can't invite anyone over." America said as Dixie walked out of the garage, carrying a bucket of water balloons out with him.
"But it's so stupid!" Idaho snapped. "We can't even spread COVID!"
"Ya!" Colorado agreed.
America sighed. "Look, we have to follow our own rules-"
"Oh, who cares! No one knows we even exist." Mississippi frowned.
"Pleeeeeeease?"
"Please!"
"Papa PLEAAAAAASE-"
America shook his head and wiggled out of the grasp of his states. "You know the rules."
"Uhg." Illinois pouted. "Since when have we ever followed the rules." She folded her arms.
"Rules are good when they keep others safe." Indiana said matter-of-factly.
"I'm giving you guys about a ten-second head start. " America said out of the blue. He was holding a water gun, which was resting on his shoulder. It took a couple of seconds for what America said to register, but as soon as the States realized what he was implying, they ran off into different directions.