"Ready? I have practise soon." Archer's voice was hoarse and scratchy. Was he sick? Is that why he looked like this?

I nodded quickly, "Yeah, just let me say one more goodbye."

Archer didn't wait for me, instead, he turned quickly to leave again. He stopped momentarily before disappearing behind the dividing wall. When he came back into sight he had the duffle bag that I'd left at the bottom of the stairs. He didn't spare us another glance though as he strode out of the house.

I hastily hugged my family again, telling them I loved them. My dad was last and as we pulled away he stopped me and rested his hand on my shoulder.

"You take care of yourself okay?" He asked gruffly, eyeing the door Archer had just left through.

"Of course, Dad." I kissed his cheek before giving them all a sad smile and walking away.

Archer was already in the truck when I got to the driveway so I scrambled quickly up into the passenger seat. I tried not to let it bother me that he was acting this way. I had to give him the benefit of the doubt until I knew what was up.

As the truck rumbled to life underneath of me, my family all came out on the front porch to wave us off. My mom and Oliver both had teary smiles on their faces as they laughed and blew kisses at me. My dad, however, looked stiff and troubled. His shoulders were straight back as he stood tall. His eyes were locked on something to my left, and as I turned I realized what was happening.

Archer and my dad were locked in some kind of silent conversation. Both men's jaws were locked tightly as they stared darkly at each other. I flicked nervously between them, trying to figure out what was happening. Finally, Archer broke the contact, nodding to himself as he shifted into reverse and pulled out of the driveway.

We drove silently for a while. Archer's knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel so tightly. He didn't look at me once, or say anything. He just stared blankly at the road before him, with his lips pressed together.

I pulled on my fingers obsessively, trying to hold back the tears that wanted to fall. This was not the man I was expecting today. I'd been nervous to see Archer after the kiss, but never did I think he'd be this cold shadow of himself. I tried to tell myself that something was obviously wrong. But I hadn't done anything to him, and yet his anger was definitely aimed towards me too. I hadn't done anything... except kiss him.

"A-Archer, are you okay?" I whispered, unable to take the silence any longer.

Archer's knuckles tightened even more at the sound of my voice. The veins on his forearms were popping aggressively from his tanned skin. "I'm fine," he said curtly, not bothering to look at me.

"Well, you don't seem fine. Is... is this about last night?" The nerves pulsing through my body tightened my throat, making my voice small and squeaky.

Archer didn't respond right away, torturing me with silence. I thought my heart would rip out of my chest if he didn't answer me soon, but then I learned that words can cut a lot deeper than silence.

"You think a fucking kiss made me like this? Jesus Charlotte. That was a mistake, it should have never happened. If I'd known you were going to make such a big deal out of it, I'd never have done it."

My eyes burned with tears as a chill settled in my heart. I didn't respond. I couldn't have even if I wanted to. My throat seized and my chest tightened as pain washed over me. I'd been so stupid. Stupid to think that the kiss could mean something. Stupid to think Archer might feel something for me. Stupid to ever have even become friends with him in the first place. Stupid.