"Happy birthday, Mrs Hayes," Adam said tenderly, his sentiments echoed by Jack and Susanna.

Mrs Hayes looked truly touched, and the rest of the household began to wish her a happy birthday as well.

"Happy birthday, Mrs Hayes," added Grace, smiling over at the kind woman. Adam's eyes flashed to Grace's when he heard her voice, but he didn't smile. Instead, he stared at her coldly for a brief moment before turning his attention back to the woman who had been his mother figure as a child.

This small interaction, however, was noticed by Mrs Hayes, and she frowned ever so slightly. "My dears," she said, recovering. "You remembered! Thank you. Thank you all!"

"Of course, we did, Mrs Hayes," Jack assured her, wearing the first smile that Grace had ever seen on his face.

"We hope you like it," added Susanna, motioning to the present.

Mrs Hayes moved her porridge aside and placed the box down on the table. She removed the lid and unwrapped a beautiful silver hairbrush and comb set.

Grace's eyes widened at the extravagance of the present. How beautiful it was!

Mrs Hayes gasped. "Oh, you shouldn't have! It's too much!"

Adam and Jack leaned down either side of Mrs Hayes and kissed her cheeks. She blushed a little as she patted their heads affectionately.

"It's not nearly enough," promised Susanna.

After wishing Mrs Hayes a happy birthday again, the three Beresfords left the kitchen, and the breakfast resumed shortly after. Nobody else seemed to have observed the way that Adam had looked upon Grace, and she was thankful that there were no questions.

Or so she had thought. When the dishes were cleared, and the maids and footman dispersed for their morning duties, Grace was called into Mrs Hayes' sitting room.

The door was closed behind her, and Mrs Hayes set down her birthday gift on the table.

"Perhaps we shall have a special dinner tonight," Grace suggested awkwardly. "Now that we know it is your birthday."

"Oh, no," dismissed Mrs Hayes. "Every one of us has a birthday at some point during the year. I've had enough of them. Those three were too generous." She shook her head at the notion, though Grace could see that Mrs Hayes did genuinely appreciate the thought. "Grace, would you tell me if something has happened between yourself and Lord Beresford?"

Mrs Hayes had noticed the exchange. Grace only hoped her denial was convincing.

"No," she murmured, shaking her head.

Mrs Hayes pursed her lips. "I just find it odd ... you two were so inseparable as children ... Adam, he ... Lord Beresford, forgive me, he talked of little else."

"But that was it," Grace said hurriedly. "We were children. I think many people are forgetting that it has been twelve years since they were last here. If one wanted to remain attached, one would write," she insisted, "and that ... he did not ..." Grace stopped herself, her eyes widening at her sudden outburst of emotion. "Forgive me, please, Mrs Hayes," she begged. "Please, nothing has happened. Lord Beresford is a gentleman now. My only wish is that I am able to go about my duties and carry on with my life."

Mrs Hayes still looked a little confused, but she could see that Grace had little desire to discuss the matter further. "Very well," she allowed. "I am sorry to pry. I really is none of my business and it is a sin to gossip." She then smiled. "You have done an excellent job since you began at Ashwood House, Grace. You are a diligent worker. Your reference from the Slicksons was entirely factual. I am glad you are here. Would you take the new candles up to the ladies parlour, please?" she asked. "You will find them in the buffet drawers. The duchess complained about the smell of the old candles and so we have ordered new ones."