Story Three: Candy Cane Kiss, prt.4

Start from the beginning

  “Thanks…deep in thought huh?” he grinned across at her, just a genuine smile then without hesitation she smiled back and the answer was yes.

  Simple as that, yes, it was worth it. He was worth it.

  Now all she had to do was ask, her smile faltered, easier said than done.

The rest of the drive was spent mostly in silence, except for the occasional direction from Ann or question from Jayce the only noise that could be heard was the music playing lightly in the background and the whoosh of the surrounding cars.

  It wasn’t long, however, before they reached the quaint home that belonged to Ann’s older sister Jane, her husband Matthew and their two children Noah and Lisa. As soon as they pulled up Ann was up and out of the car, eager to get some fresh air in contrast to the cramped, nearly claustrophobic air that filled the car. Somewhat fuelled by the awkward silence that had been developing within it. Slumping with relief when the fresh air hit her Ann looked up at the sky, it was a beautiful sunny day but by the look of the approaching clouds it looked like there might be some showers this evening.

  Jayce got out and came to join her his face questioning, he gestured for her to go first she nodded blushing. Walking up the drive way Ann stopped and knocked loudly on the front door, there was a loud squeal most likely from Lisa who had just hit her terrible twos last month.

  “Lisa! There’s no need for you to squeal like that,” a deep voice scolded behind the door just as a lock was clicked and the door opened to reveal Matthew.

  A weary Matthew Walsh greeted Ann with a smile, “Oh, hello, Merry Christmas!” He reached out and gave Ann a hug, “Come in, come in. Oh who’s this? The new boy?” Mat looked to Jayce grinning widely. Ann resisted the urge to snort.

  Jayce shook hands with Mat, “Nice to meet you, I’m Jayce a friend of Ann’s. I used to be her neighbour.”

  He nodded his head in understanding, smiling faintly at Ann.

There was the loud sound of thudding footsteps before two small figures appeared in the doorway at the end of the hallway. Ann smiled warmly towards her niece and nephew, bending down she opened her arms wide welcoming their hugs. The two small children grinned, Lisa squealed with delight, and ran full speed into their loving aunt’s arms. She stumbled back slightly when they hit her, losing her balance for a second before regaining it and hugging them tenderly.

  Ann had never cared much for children, however, the birth of Noah and Lisa had awakened a new desire within her. Some day she would love to hug her own children.

  Stepping back Ann got a good look at them, “Goodness me, look at you two! You’ve grown since the last time I saw you, which was just a few weeks ago!”

  Lisa stood back grinning widely, her golden curls bouncing around her small face as her crystal blue eyes sparkled with delight. Noah tugged on Ann’s shirt; getting the hint Ann lifted Noah. He certainly wasn’t as light as he used to be, he was after all three now, but Ann continued to hold him none the less. Pleased, Noah smiled up at Ann before he rested his head on her shoulder, his big brown eyes drooping.

  Not really aware of what she was doing Ann began to stroke Noah’s beautiful brown ringlets and sway from side to side. She may not have noticed but Jayce and Matthew sure did.

  “Auntie Annie come play with my new dollies Santa brought me!” Lisa gushed excitedly tugging on her pants leg, her blue eyes wide and pleading.

  Ann turned to Jayce “Would you mind?”

  Jayce smiled, “No not at all, go ahead.”

  “I’ll keep him entertained,” Matthew chipped in clapping Jayce on the back, “Come on Jayce I’ll show you my new Barbecue.”

  Ann smiled, “Come on Lisa; I want to see these new dollies of yours.” Following the bouncing toddler she walked into the main room with the men behind her, to the left was the kitchen where Jane worked busily on the Christmas lunch/dinner. To the right was the lounge room and dining table, Lisa ran to the lounge room where she sat down and continued to set up a house for her new dolls. Jane looked up from her cooking as they entered.

  A quick introduction was made for Jayce there was some small chit chat and then Mat whisked Jayce off to the patio to show him his new barbecue and cook some food for Jane.

  Ann offered to help her sister who stubbornly refused, “Go play with Lisa,” she said her back to Ann as she stirred something in a bowl, “You cooked all on your own last Christmas, so I insist on doing it this time,” taking a few things out of the fridge she looked to Noah, who had been watching their conversation with much interest, “Noah, honey do you want to help mummy with the cheese and nibbles?”

  “Sure mummy.” Noah said quietly tugging on Ann’s shirt again, she put him down and he went to his mother’s side. Giving up Ann walked over to Lisa sitting down on the soft rug. Lisa beamed as she handed her a doll.

********

So sorry this took so long but, you see, this part was originally longer but I've taken the original ending of this and made it the start of part 5. Why? Because it makes more sense and I haven't updated in ages and I wanted to give you something. Part 5 is on it's way! Much quicker this time too!

Oh and, before I go, sorry this part isn't too satisfying! I know you want them to get together and what not but I pinkie promise the next part will be much MUCH more satisfying! Also, there will definitely be a part 6 and maybe a part seven if I want to give you something extra :)

Anyway, hope you enjoyed, please give me some feedback and if you like it vote! Thanks! xx