18 • Uninvited Guests • 18

Start from the beginning

"A yacht party?"

Billy nodded. "Beachforde Hotel is famous for hosting them."

"And we're going to one?"

"Indeed we are." He told me, turning his gaze back away from me and towards the doorman who was attending to the lady in the pink dress. "Just got to wait for someone to distract him."

"We're actually doing this?"

"Yes. You ready to have some fun?" Billy said as we saw the doorman lead the woman inside, putting down a book that he had in his hands before leading the way.

Billy got out of the car and I followed behind him. He took my hand in his and led me across the stone carpark. I tried to hide my mischievous smile, but I couldn't. My heart was fluttering with excitement.

Billy grabbed the book that the doorman had put down. He quickly flipped through the pages until he found the page that he found what he was looking for. He was looking at a list of names, it was the guest list.

Billy put the book back where he had found it and took my hand in his for the second time. He smiled at me and I prayed that he knew what he was doing even though I didn't think I'd care if he didn't. I'd probably do it anyway.

The doorman approached us again and I held my breath as the doorman glanced at us. His eyes scanned over our outfits and I waited for him to tell us to leave.

The doorman's eyes met mine, drifted his gaze up towards Billy, who was flashing him an award winning smile. It was the kind of smile that told you to trust me, love me, believe in me and it seemed to work on the doorman. Part of me wondered if Billy used the same smile on me.

"What's your name, Sir?" The doorman asked Billy.

"James, I'm Edward James' son." Billy told him.

The doorman nodded. "Oh, yes. I know your father. He just arrived a couple minutes ago." The door man said as he took Billy's leather jacket from him to put it in the cloak room.

Billy nodded. "I didn't think he was here yet."

I found myself trying not to laugh or crack a smile, which would give us away. We were getting away with this.

"Go on through, he's just down there." The doorman instructed and we stepped inside. I couldn't believe the doorman believed us. I kept thinking he would see right through us.

"I can't believe that worked." I whispered. "You flashed him a smile and he believed whatever you said. Do you even know who Edward James is?"

"Nope. Edward James was one of the few people on the list that didn't have a plus one." Billy said to me as he lead me down the hotel corridor. "You've just got to act like you're supposed to be here. That way, no one will question why you are."

"I never thought that kinda reasoning would actually work."

Billy smirked at me and I looked at him interestingly. I hadn't seen this side to Billy before, but I liked it.

"That's because you've never seen it done right."

We entered into the room where the guests seemed to be waiting to go onto the yacht. It was probably the grandest party I had ever been to. It was the kind of party I thought only existed in the movies. Guests were dressed in gorgeous formal dresses and suites and ties. There were waiters and waitresses walking around with trays of champagne glasses, waiting for someone to help themselves to. The musical sound of laughter filled my ears before it gently faded into the actual music that was playing.

"Care for a dance?" Billy asked me, one corner of his lips lifted upwards, threatening me with a smile.

"I wondered when you'd ask." I smiled as I eyed the dance floor.