chapter nine

I had ten days left to live, in which I had spent the remaining days spending as much time as I could with Himari, Akaashi and my family. The coughing got worse, too, but I tried my best to hold it in so that nobody would be concerned and force me to get checked at the hospital. For the last few days, I began counting on the calendar again, crossing the dates with red crosses as it approached 21st of July. I was mentally preparing to leave everything behind, though sometimes the thought of never seeing my parents again broke me. Saving the waterworks for the last day, I slung my backpack and headed out of the house for school. 

Holding a white flower I coughed out this morning, today would be finally the day I confess to Akaashi.

***

The rest of the day went agonizingly slow, making me jitter at my own seat at the thought of confessing to Akaashi after school. Unfortunately it had started raining, so it would be harder for me to look for him among hundreds of students under umbrellas. I felt extremely tired today, nearly falling asleep multiple times during class. I even stumbled a few times while walking. I was definitely running out of time..

During recess, Himari dragged a chair to my table and sat, setting her bento box on the table. 

'You're awfully quiet today.' She said as she began to eat her food.

I took out my food and offered her. 'You can have some of mine if you want.'

'What?' Himari choked before hitting her chest a couple of times. 'The day you share your food is the end of the world.' 

'It is for me,' I said jokingly and ate my food. I listened to her rants and gossips for the rest of the break, not saying anything much as I just wanted to listen today. My heart felt heavy as she walked back to her table, trying my best to forget the fact that today would be the last day I'd be able to see her. 

When the bell finally rang signalling the end of the last period, I took out my umbrella and walked downstairs with Himari. 

'Hey, I have to meet Akaashi, so you can go first.'

'Oh?' Himari grinned, and said goodbye but I caught her wrist. I pulled her into a tight hug. 'Y/N? You.. okay?'

'Yeah, just let me.. hug you for a while.'

We hugged at the bottom of the stairs for a few minutes before letting go of her. I smiled at her, trying to hide my sadness. 'Goodbye.'

'Yeah.. bye, Y/N.' She raised an eyebrow, looking at me weirdly at my change in behaviour. She pinched my cheek. 'See you tomorrow!' 

I watched her as she walked away, until she disappeared from sight. There were too many people coming out of the school at once, so I decided to wait for him just outside the gates where it was better to spot him coming out of the school. Just as I was about to leave, I heard Bokuto shouted my name. 

'Y/N-chan!' he slowly forced his way towards me through the mass of people. 'Who are you waiting for?'

'Hi,' I greeted, suddenly realizing that I would miss his energy around me. 'Is Akaashi with you?'

'Oh, he's at the volleyball gym. We're practicing, though.'

'But school just ended?' I asked, feeling disappointed that I might not be able to see him after all. 

'Yeah, we have a summer tournament coming so the coach wanted practices after school.'

'Then what are you doing here?'

He scratched the back of his head and grinned. 'I forgot something at my class.' 

'Oh, okay, then.. I'll be going now.' I said as I walked towards him.