chapter eight

It had been twenty minutes since I left them, now just walking around the food and game stalls aimlessly. Debating whether I should just text Akaashi that I was going back early, or return to them, my finger hovered over the send button. My chest still hurt from the coughing, and my throat was extremely dry. 

Suddenly, my phone rang. 

Akaashi Keiji.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds before picking it up reluctantly. 

'Y/N? Where are you?' Akaashi's voice sounded worried. There were chatters in the background, and I heard some of them saying my name. 'Are you okay?'

'Yeah, I told you I was going to the toilet.' I said casually, trying to sound normal with my blocked nose after crying. 

'It's just.. you were gone for a long time.' There was a brief pause. 'The fireworks show ended, and we're thinking of walking around for a bit. Do you want to go home now? I can walk you-'

'No, it's okay.. my parents are here.' I think. 'I'll go back with them. Thanks for tonight, Akaashi.'

He said something that I didn't pay attention to, because I was close to crying again. After ending the call, I walked straight to the exit and decided to just head home. I thought I was over it.. but loving someone really hurts if I had to endure the pain that Hanahaki had to give.

I waited at the lonely bus stop, wishing that the bus would arrive faster. There was nobody else in the vicinity of the bus stop, since it was still early for anyone to go back home. The festival was only just getting started, after all. 

I gathered my yukata so it wouldn't hit the dirty floor. A few minutes passed as I stared at the streets blankly, thinking of nothing in particular as my heart grew heavier from the night's event. As the silence steadily settled over me, I felt the loneliness from separating from the boys began to dawn on me. From another person's point of view, I must've looked like a forlorn figure at a bus stop. 

'Y/N,' a hand touched my shoulder. I quickly stood, letting go of my yukata from my fists. Akaashi was panting, handing me a plastic bag. 'You didn't get to finish your takoyaki from earlier.. so I got you a new one.'

'You don't have to do that!' I said guiltily, but still taking the plastic bag anyway. The plastic was warm, and I saw two takoyaki boxes inside. 'This is a lot of takoyaki.'

'I thought it would make you feel better.' He said, regaining his breath.

'What do you mean?'

'You were crying, weren't you?' he said, quickly averting his eyes to someplace else. 'I won't ask you why.. but I hope you get better.' He looked at me.

My chest swelled and I bit my lips, the tears dangerously close to coming out. Of course, he looked right through me as his face softened, and hugged me. I burst, my wet face burrowing in his chest. Why was he the one comforting me when he was the very reason I cried in the first place? 

For some reason, I find his warmth and the arms around me comforting, easing me into false tranquil for I know the moment he leaves, I would still be hurting but twice as much.

I calmed myself down after some time, and felt his hand patting my head. 'I'm still your friend, if you need help with anything. You know that, right?' I heard him say.

I nodded my head, face still on his chest- rubbing my tears on his yukata in the process. I pulled away and wiped my face with my sleeves. 

'Can we forget that tonight happened?' I said quietly, unable to meet his eyes. Thankfully tomorrow is the weekends, so I didn't have to worry about seeing him at school. 'I look ridiculous when I cry.'

'I can't do that.' Akaashi said, surprising me since he was always agreeing with my requests. I brought up my red glassy eyes to meet his; he had his arms crossed. 'Watching the fireworks with you was.. really nice. I don't want to forget that.'

I smiled through my dry tears, feeling my cheeks pulling. 'I meant me crying.'

A low grumble noise appeared, and we both looked to see a bus coming towards our way. 'Of course,' he smiled, and placed his hand on my head once again. 'Your bus is here, take care.'

As I was about to board the bus, I turned back to him, gambling if he would actually know what I mean. I know I had decided to confess to him the day before my last, but right now seemed appropriate. 'Hey, I think the moon is beautiful tonight.'

He looked up at the sky, and stared at the moon for a while before looking down at me. He gave me a soft smile. 'You're right.'

I don't think he gets it, but that's okay.

I waved him goodbye as I boarded the bus, and sat next to a window where I can see him. As the bus drove away, I watched him as he waved at me until he disappeared from view. My body jolted forwards involuntarily as I began to cough violently. 

A full white flower fell onto my palms, protruding from a small stem. 

***

A/N: I know you guys already know it but!! Just adding here in case some people don't get it: the phrase (japanese phrase) 'the moon is beautiful tonight'/ 'the moon is beautiful, isn't it?' / 'the moon is beautiful' means i love you :) basically you guys were confessing to him!! but i dont think akaashi gets it :/ hehe anyways i hope you enjoyed this short chapter <3