Chapter 1- Fanfiction

"Nice job today, everyone!" Rei called out to the younger students as they filed out of the pool gates. He sat with his back against the cool wire fence, feeling it press against his tired body. It was the third week of school, and the swim club already had more than double the number of members from the previous year. Rei was still adjusting to his place as captain, even though Nagisa, Kou, and Miss Amakata had all assured him he was best fit for the title. It was difficult, he had soon realized, taking on this responsible role: many of the new members hadn't had a day of proper coaching in their lives, and others, though capable, were far from the standards Rei was used to seeing around Haru and the others. But Haru and Mako were in Tokyo now, attending university. It was strange having to get used to their absence- Rei had looked up to them so, and had certainly never expected to take Mako's place as captain. All this went through his mind as he sat on the ground by the pool with the other third year students- Nagisa and a girl called Kodokuna. They were the only members to be graduating at the end of that year- the others were all first or second year students.
"Nagisa, how do you think I'm doing?" Rei asked in an undertone so Kodokuna wouldn't overhear.
"Doing? Like as captain?" the blond replied. Rei nodded, knowing his answer would be an optimistic one but needing the encouragement. "You're doing wonderful!" Nagisa exclaimed happily, his cheeks coloring. "Better than Mako-chan!"
"Erm, I might not go that far," Rei said, pushing himself to his feet and heading towards the locker room. The other two followed, traipsing back to the tiny changing area. Rei pulled on his clothes, tying his tie- now green instead of red. Nagisa dressed first, impatiently waiting for Rei and Kodokuna at the door.
"Ah, actually, Nagisa, you go ahead. I need a word with Rei," Kodokuna smiled, pulling her hair back. Confused, Rei turned and watched as Nagisa skipped back out into the sunlight. He turned back to Kodokuna. She was short- shorter than Kou- and had shoulder length lavender hair with bangs falling into her light, wide blue eyes. Rei didn't know much about her- she had signed up the week before, claiming to have a strong breaststroke. At least she had followed through on her promise- Kodokuna was almost as good as Nagisa. She didn't talk much but had started hanging around Rei and Nagisa, seeing as they were the only other third years on the team. Rei looked down at her awkwardly.
"You, er, wanted something?" He shifted his weight and waited for her response.
"Yes, actually. I was thinking- we've only really been practicing the relay. Don't you think we ought to work on refining our individual skills as well?" Kodokuna looked up at him expectantly.
"Oh! Yes. Um, of course. I've got that planned, don't worry," Rei stuttered, relieved. For a moment, he had been worried she was going to say something much more personal. What were you hoping for, a confession of love? he thought to himself as he pushed open the door to the poolside. Hmph. Not really his area of expertise. Besides, things like that only happened in fanfictions.