Chapter 6- Awkward

*a wild update appears!* Also, you might want to go back and read the last few chapters again to jog your memory! Sorry it's been so long! /)n(\

Mako stood by the pool entrance, waiting for Haru to leave the locker room. Even as roommates, they didn't get to see each other much, as Mako was in class most of the time while Haru was swimming. After a few minutes, Mako spotted Haru exiting the changing room. He was blushing profusely and there was a knot on his forehead. Mako glanced at him, concerned, as Haru approached him.
"Are you alright? What happened to your head?" Haru turned his eyes downward, avoiding the question. Mako sighed and turned towards the main building, Haru following him. "I've got class on the other side of campus, so... See you lat-" Mako was cut off as Haru interrupted him.
"You know I'm fine, right?"
Mako stared at him, confused. "Your... Your head?"
"No. Me. In general. You always worry about me and you don't need to. I'm happy here. I really am." Haru stared ahead intensely, refusing to meet Mako's gaze, his face now even brighter red. Mako looked at Haru bemusedly, a small smile on his lips.
"Okay."
Huh?" Haru swung his head 'round; it was his turn to be confused.
"Okay. Thank you. You're right, I do worry about you," Mako said with a laugh, "but maybe I don't need to all the time."
They walked in silence for several more moments- Haru seemed to have forgotten where he was headed, and was simply following Mako across the campus. Finally, Mako glanced sideways at Haru and asked tentatively, "So... Ah... What did happen to your head?" Haru's face reddened for the third time as he muttered an inaudible reply. Mako tutted. "Well, it's a rather bad bump. I should probably take you to the infirmary."
"What?! All I did was bump into a wall!" Haru stated indignantly.
Mako sighed, now slightly fed up. "Well, that's all you had to say in the first place. And you really should get it checked out, you don't want it to interfere with swimming, do you?" Mako had no clue how a minor head bump could affect Haru's swimming ability, but he figured the idea was enough to make him give in to a trip to the infirmary. He was right- Haru's eyes widened as he gave a quick nod and sped up his pace.
~
"Don't worry, dear, it's nothing serious, just a little bump," the nurse said kindly, examining Haru's head, "but I do think you should be sure to ice it periodically for a few days."
Haru nodded absentmindedly, staring at Mako standing in the corner of the cramped nurse's office. It wasn't that he hadn't wanted to tell him that he had walked into a wall- although that was rather embarrassing- Haru just didn't want to explain why he had walked into the wall in the first place. In fact, he was still trying to sort out his thoughts about Mako.
Haru had never had a proper "crush" before, not unless faking one to fit in counted. But the way he had noticed himself looking at Mako lately resembled the way he had seen couples gaze at each other in the halls of Iwatobi. He rested his chin in his hands, staring blankly at the tiled floor. What did this mean? Did he like Mako... that way...? The chair beside Haru squeaked, and he jumped, jolted out of his thoughts. Mako had sat down next to him. Haru tried to wipe every trace of emotion from his face, wanting to give no evidence of his confused thoughts.
"Your head's going to be fine, then?" Mako asked with his signature smile and head tilt.
"Mm." Haru gave a small nod of his head, and resumed staring at the floor.
"Well... As I was saying, I have class on the other side of campus, so I had better go." Mako rose from the chair and stood awkwardly for a moment before leaving. Haru sighed loudly as the door shut behind Mako, leaving him alone in the tiny clinic. He let his tangled thoughts drift back to him, the image of Mako's smile still floating in his vision.
~
Mako was stumped. He was sitting with his back to the wall of some remote hallway, his mind buzzing as he tried to work out the mess of emotions in his mind. He was not, in fact, on the other side of campus in class as he had planned to be: Mako had decided that just this once, it would be all right to miss a class. It would be worth it, after all, if he could sort out his feelings about his friend once and for all. It had been quite a while since Mako had looked at Haru as a best friend. Mako was almost certain Haru felt the same way towards him- though Haru tried to be stoic and unmovable, he really did wear his heart on his sleeve, unintentionally. There was just one tiny shadow of doubt at the very back of Mako's head, however- Rin. If he was mistaken about Haru- which he didn't think he was, but the worry was still there- then he was certain his friend would eventually fall for the former Samezuka student. Mako always tried his hardest to be empathetic, but if that were to happen, he wasn't sure if he could be happy.
Mako sighed. If he was right, and Haru did care for him beyond friendship, then he would never find out about it on his own. Haru wasn't the type to shout about that sort of thing, or even whisper about it, really. If he wanted answers, Mako was going to have to ask for them. He cringed, rising from his slump against the wall. He and Haru had their free period in half an hour, he could ask then. It was going to be awkward. Very awkward. But if he got a date out of it, Mako thought, it just might be worth it.
~
I AM SO SORRY THAT IT HAS BEEN SO LONG! I can't make excuses, I'm just lazy /)n(\ But this chapter is a bit longer than the others, so that makes up for a bit... Right?
Also, THANK YOU FOR SO MANY READS!!! It really means a lot that you all seem to like my work, I honestly didn't think this fic would go anywhere.
Please vote/comment/follow if you're really enjoying it, it only takes a moment and it means the world to me!
Thank you for reading! ^^
~Felis