*Bonus Chapter*: Underneath The Disguise

The blonde woman cried in my arms, making me feel incredibly sorry for her. I barely knew anything about her. We'd only talked once and I was surprised she even remembered my name. I never guessed walking into that ballroom that I'd come out with a girl literally in my arms. Especially not such a beautiful one.

"Lisa, where are we going?" Rosé piped up, wiping away a few of her tears.

"Somewhere away from the fray," I told her. "If that's okay, of course."

She nodded against my chest. "You must think I'm pathetic, don't you?"

"No, you're not," I reassured her. "But I would like to know the whole story."

We reached the stables, a place where I knew we'd be away from everyone at the ball. I set Rosé down on the only chair there and sat down on a hay bale in front of her. The horses were asleep this time of night, so I knew we wouldn't be disturbed by any of their ruckus.

"You want me to get you something?" I asked. "A tea? Coffee? Brandy?"

"The brandy sounds good right about now," she chuckled. "I can't even remember the last time I had a drinking buddy."

I grabbed the glass bottle that I always kept in the stable cabinet. I handed it to Rosé, who took a large swig. Damn, this girl's alcohol tolerance had to be high if she was able to drink that much in one gulp. She let out a large exhale as I sat back down.

"You're not gonna drink?" she questioned.

"Nah, I don't drink," I declined.

"Bullshit," she scoffed. "I've seen you drink with those two boys you always hang out with."

"I've been trying to stay sober," I said. "But I guess one drink couldn't hurt."

Rosé smirked. "That's the spirit."

I took a gulp of the liquid, reminding myself how sweet it was. I winced a little, but swallowed it nonetheless. I handed the bottle back to the blonde, who continued to drink the rest of it. I couldn't blame the girl. It seemed like a rough night for her.

"Now that I've given you alcohol, can you tell me what happened back there?" I inquired.

She scowled. "Right, I suppose you want to know about that."

I nodded.

"It's a bit hard to explain." Her voice faltered. "You aren't going to believe me."

"I've seen a lot of things that I didn't believe to be possible before today," I laughed. "Hit me with your best shot."

She smiled. "Well, I guess I should get one thing out of the way. I'm cursed."

"Cursed?" I raised an eyebrow. "But doesn't that stuff only happen in fairy tales?"

"I knew you wouldn't believe me." Her eyes focused on the floor.

"No, no, I believe you!" I quickly grabbed her hand. "I'm just surprised, that's all."

"That's not the only surprise," Rosé chuckled. "Do you know why I work the night shift at the tavern?"

I shook my head.

"It's because I can't get a job at any other time. When the moon is out, that's when I'm human. I get to have a normal life and live as I choose," she said.

"But what about when the sun's out?" I asked.

She sighed. "That's when the curse comes into play. The moment the sun rises, I become a swan."

"Like the bird?"

"Is there something else called a 'swan' that I'm not aware of?" she responded sarcastically.

"I don't believe so," I said. "So, you're serious then. You really are cursed."

"Why would I make this up?" she replied. "I wouldn't lie to you."

"Is that why you don't go home with any of the rich men who watch you perform?" I questioned.

She rolled her eyes. "Yes and no. I don't go home with any of them, because they're the reason I got cursed in the first place."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I was young and extremely naive," she began. "The performer that was supposed to dance one evening was out sick with the plague. I never did find out what happened to her. Anyway, that's besides the point. I was told to take her place, since I knew the number. I did and the men loved it. Especially one man. I went backstage to change out of my performance clothes, but I didn't realize that he was there. He came up behind me and touched me in a way that I wanted to be touched, but not by him."

She took a deep breath, her voice wavering slightly.

"I told him to leave, but he didn't. Instead, he touched me again and again and again. It got to the point where his hands were on my breasts and he was trying to fully undress me. I shoved him off, punching him in the face as I did so. Then, I ran away. The next day I came back to work the early morning shift, like I usually did. But he was there. He tried to manipulate me into complying with his scheme, but I refused. That's when he cursed me. All because I said 'no'."

Tears were now rolling down her cheeks as she buried her face in her hands. My heart broke hearing her story. To think that she received such a horrible fate just for sticking up for herself hurt me. No wonder she had cried when she saw that man appear in the ballroom. I would too.

I knelt down in front of her, taking her hands in mine. She looked up at me, her eyes tearstained and reddened. It didn't take long before she was back in my arms again, her tears staining my suit. I held her close, my hand running through her hair. Her hands clenched my suit in small fists, pulling me in closer.

"I didn't mean to hurt your friend," she murmured through her tears. "He made me disguise as Jennie. He said he'd make me a swan permanently if I didn't do it."

"I know you didn't mean any harm. I think they'll be okay," I said in a calming voice.

"A-And are you okay with m-me?" she sniffled.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I replied.

She shifted her gaze. "I thought you might not want to be around me anymore."

"Nothing you've told me today will keep me from spending time with you." I cupped her cheek gently.

She looked up at me with the kindest eyes imaginable. My heart skipped a beat as I gazed at those dark, crystalline orbs. Her lips curled into a smile and she sat up to face me directly. Before I knew it, I felt a light kiss on my cheek. I turned to the blonde who was smiling even brighter than before.

"Thank you, Lisa," she whispered.

"Anytime, Rosé," I said.

She hopped out of my lap and helped me up. "I think I want to go back to the palace, if that's okay."

"You sure?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes. If he's still there, I'll punch him in the face. If not, I get to dance with you. Deal?"

"You want to dance with me?" My eyes widened.

"Of course!" she giggled. "Who wouldn't want to dance with such a pretty girl?"

"You think I'm pretty?" I truly didn't know how to comprehend her words.

Rosé stepped closer to me. "Yes. I always have, actually. You know, out of all the people that come to the tavern, you're my favorite."

"Really?"

"Yes," she chuckled. "Are you just going to keep asking questions?"

"Maybe." I avoided her gaze. "I'm not good with talking to pretty girls."

"Well, this pretty girl is dying to dance with the handsome girl in the sleek suit." She fixed my bowtie, then offered me her hand. "Shall we?"

"We shall," I responded, taking her hand in mine.