Chapter Ten: Good Morning, Princess

Daylight streamed in through the windows, hitting my eyes. Birds chirped a playful tune that seemed daunting, in a way. I groaned slightly at the mockingbirds who just wouldn't shut up. Every morning, I was tempted to throw a pillow at the poor birds. Normally, I'd hate waking up in the morning, but this particular morning was different from the rest.

I rolled over to see a familiar brunette laying next to me. Her adorable face was deep in the pillow, her light snores in tune with the birds' songs. I beamed watching her. The sunlight created a halo around her, making her appear as though she was an angel from the heavens. To me, she was.

I placed a kiss on the top of her head, which caused her eyes to blink open.

"Laissez-moi dormir," Jennie groaned.  [Let me sleep.]

"I'm sorry," I quickly apologized. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Relax, I'm only messing with you." She rubbed her eyes sleepily.

Just then, something seemed to click in her brain, almost like a switch had been flipped. Her eyes widened and she froze, looking down at her hands in shock. She looked at the rest of her body, and I couldn't tell if she was happy or sad.

"What's wrong?" I questioned.

"Nothing's wrong, it's just..."

Jennie was about to finish her sentence, but instead, she trailed off. She looked me in the eyes, then in one quick movement, she pulled me in for a kiss. I was surprised at first, still new to the whole kissing thing, but soon I melted into it, holding her even closer. She cupped my face in her hands, which were so gentle against my cheeks.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"For what?" I was still rather confused. "What did I do?"

"Do you not remember?" she chuckled. "I should be a swan right now, but I'm not."

"Right," I said. "So that means you broke the curse."

"I didn't. You did." She tapped the tip of my nose playfully.

I gave her a confused expression, which prompted her to continue explaining.

"I didn't tell you this before, but I knew how the curse could be broken. It's cliché, really. The way to break it was love."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

She sighed as she sat up. "I don't know. I guess I thought you wouldn't believe me. After all those years under the curse, I thought love wasn't real."

"I did too." I sat up as well, wrapping my arms around her waist. "Turns out we were both wrong."

She laughed a little. "I guess so."

I pressed a kiss to her shoulder blade as I laid against her back. For the first time in my life, I felt a sense of completion. I felt like the missing puzzle piece in my life was found. Like I was whole again, if that made any sense. Had I felt so incomplete before her? I hadn't given it much thought, but I knew one thing for sure. She completed me.

"You know," I said. "You're even more beautiful in the daylight."

She beamed. "So are you."

Before I could get another word in, Mother burst through the door. I immediately gripped Jennie tighter as both our gazes turned to the middle-aged woman. She had a dazed look in her eye that I knew all too well. It at least meant that she was trying to sober up. Whether she was actually sober or not was all but a mystery.

"What on Earth are you doing?" Her cantankerous voice echoed around the room.

"Waking up," I answered plainly. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Who is that?" She pointed at the brunette in my arms.

"Jennie," I responded. "My fiancée."

"Fiancée?" I was almost certain her eyes would pop out of their sockets. "But I thought you were against marriage."

"I was, until you gave your blessing." I smirked.

"I gave a blessing?" She raised an eyebrow.

I nodded. "Yes, you did. I assume you want me married as soon as possible, so would you send for the wedding planner? And arrange a carriage too. We'll be doing some shopping."

She blankly stared at me, only blinking occasionally. "S-Sure, I'll do that."

Mother walked down the stairs, muttering "I need another drink" as she passed by the staff. I giggled a bit, never expecting to be the one giving my mother orders. It's funny how life works, I suppose.

"Some shopping?" Jennie asked. "Whatever for?"

"I reckon you'll want to get a few more clothes for the palace," I said.

"The p-palace?" Her eyes widened. "You mean I get to live here?"

I chuckled. "Only if you can stand me."

"There's no one I'd rather live in an extravagant palace with." She kissed my cheek.

"Bon a savoir." I smirked.  [Good to know.]

She playfully hit my arm. "Ta gueule et embrasse-moi."  [Shut up and kiss me.]

My smile only grew as I leaned in to kiss her. She moved into my lap, subtly teasing me. I was only human. I would fall for her teases every day. Her lips connected with mine as my arm wrapped around her waist. I could feel her hands in my hair and it was a feeling that I never wanted to forget. Being with her was a feeling I never wanted to forget.

"Jisoo?" Jennie asked as she pulled away.

"Yeah?"

"Je suis amoureux de vous ," she whispered huskily.  [I'm so in love with you.]

"I would hope so." I beamed. "Because I'm in love with you too."