Chapter Four: May I Have This Dance?

"They're all so proper."

"Who?" I turned to Jennie, who was clinging to my arm as we walked.

"The ladies and gentlemen getting their tickets," she clarified. "They look so fancy and beautiful. It makes me feel slightly underdressed."

"Hey," I paused. "You look gorgeous. Pour moi, c'est toi la plus belle.[To me, you're the prettiest.]

A pinkish color came to her cheeks. "Vraiment?[Really?]

"Oui." I nodded.  [Yes.]

We approached the ticket booth to see a man in a dapper suit counting coins. He looked bitter and didn't pay us any mind until I cleared my throat. He rolled his eyes and turned to face us.

"May I help you?" he questioned.

"Two tickets, monsieur," I said quickly.

He looked me up and down and I soon realized something. I was only in work clothes that I borrowed from Lisa. He probably thought I was far too poor to ever afford such fineries. I gulped, awaiting his next words.

"That'll be twelve francs," he responded.

"Twelve?" Jennie's eyes widened. "That's absurd!"

"This is a high demand ballet, mademoiselle," he said. "Most tickets are already sold out."

I pulled the required francs out of my pocket. "Will this do?"

The man smirked. "Take your seats, mademoiselles."

I replied with a quiet "merci" as Jennie and I found our way through the crowd of people. I found a pair of seats over by the corner for both of us. The ticket seller wasn't lying. There were tons of people filling the auditorium, all in fancy gowns and attire. Jennie was right. These people did make me feel underdressed.

"After today, you're not spending any more money on me," Jennie piped up. "I can't allow it."

"Je ne regrette rien," I replied. "I want you to have fun every once in a while."  [I regret nothing.]

Jennie was going to say something in response, but the lights began to dim before she could. The orchestra started to play a beautiful tune as the curtain lifted. Behind it were three beautiful girls in even prettier costumes. They danced gracefully across the stage, the light reflecting off of the gems on their leotards.

I'd only gone to the ballet a few times, but as a royal. I'd never gone as a commoner. It felt much nicer being here casually, unlike the previous times where I had to act regal and put-together. Besides, this was the first time I was able to go with someone that I wanted to be with.

I turned to my left to see Jennie, wide-eyed as she gazed at the spectacle on stage. She smiled brightly, completely captivated by the dancers. I couldn't help but smile too. Seeing her happy was what made me feel joy. I would spend all the francs in the world just to see her smile like this every day.

Nonchalantly, I draped my arm over her shoulders. I turned back to watch the ballet, but out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jennie looking at me. I felt a hand grasp mine gently. Delicate fingers intertwined with mine and a head rested on my shoulder. I smiled even brighter as I rested my head against hers.

As quickly as it had started, the show ended and the applause from the crowd caused Jennie to raise her head. She cheered loudly for the dancers as they took their bows. She grabbed my hand as we walked out of the auditorium. My heartbeat accelerated as she squeezed my hand subtly.