Agonizing Attacks

January quickly turned into February, Hermione had been released from the Hospital Wing. She refused to tell anyone why she was in there, but she did return my notes to me with a small smile and a thank you. It was small, but it was a start - baby steps. There was no more attacks and everyone was in better spirits, especially Ginny and I. Professor Sprout said that the Mandrakes were maturing very well and that those that had been petrified would be awakened soon. Ginny, Anya, and I had been meeting in our alcove regularly. Before we knew it Valentine's Day was nearing. Anya teased Ginny about the Valentine that she was putting together for Potter. I thought it was sweet, I even helped her with the wording.

"So is Ginny going to help you with yours?" Anya teased me, the night before Valentine's day. She was laying down on the window seat, her body was angled so her head was hanging off the edge, a sugar quill hanging out of her mouth. Her feet were on Ginny's lap, Ginny was using her feet as a table and was scribbling down notes for her valentine. I was sitting on the floor on a mountain of pillows that we had brought in, munching on some Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans.

"What do you mean?" Ginny mumbled between bites of her licorice wand. Ginny and I had preformed a heist on her brothers' candy stash.

"For Cedric of course." Anya answered her then looked at me. "Now what would rhyme with Copper-Haired boy?" She smirked. I threw a handful of Bertie Beans at her, they nailed her in the face. In her shock she fell off the the window seat which made Ginny's ink and papers go everywhere.

"Oi!" Ginny screeched. She hastily grabbed her papers before they were doused in ink. Ink got all over the floor and Anya. I started laughing and Anya did too. Even Ginny couldn't resit joining in. We cleaned up the candy and ink before heading to our dorms.

I spent the night reviewing my second year books, with everything going on before I had fallen behind a bit. I was still good with the Second Year knowledge parts, but I needed to practice my wand work. Then I reviewed my third year course books before finally going to bed really early in the morning. Waking up in the morning, it was really late. All my dorm mates were already gone. Breakfast would be over soon. I quickly jumped up and threw on my uniform, I had just enough time to brush my teeth and throw my hair up without brushing it. Rushing down to the Great Hall I had to do a double take to make sure I was in the right place. The walls were all covered with large, lurid pink flowers with heart-shaped confetti was falling from the pale blue ceiling. I hurried to the table and sat next to Ginny and Neville. I was able to grab a slice of toast and a few grapes from a plate before the rest of the food disappeared. Lockhart made his way the the center podium and waved for everyone to be silent, his pink robes matched the decor completely. I didn't have the chance to ask Ginny why she didn't come wake me. I silently eat my small helping while Lockhart was talking.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all - and it doesn't end here!" Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly-looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps. "My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!" None of the teachers looked at all pleased with this. I pity any student who goes to Snape for a love potion.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked Ginny when I finally had the chance. We were now heading to class. I had Transfiguration while she had charms.