Spooky Season (08/26/2020)

Two months and fourteen days since Justin broke up with me. We ended it on fairly bad terms. He left me for my best friend, actually sorry ex best friend. They were both a pair of ugly skanks. I deserved better.

We had a trip planned to go to Sleepy Hollow, New York for our Halloween this year, it was my favorite holiday. I work as a professor at University of Richmond, in Virginia, so i am living comfortably, but a free trip is a free trip. Those tickets would not go to waste, or at least one wont.

My flight left in two days, I couldn't stop my mind from wandering. Oh to think of the decorations, the food, and omg the smells. Halloween is the best.

The day before my flight. I had just hopped out of the shower, put on my matching cat pajama set, then decided to pack, my favorite part. I slowly picked some outfits and stuffed them into my suitcase. I was expecting myself to cry or something, because this was planned with Justin, but I kinda felt happy. I had lost 189 pounds and was ready to enjoy myself.

...

I sprang awake to the loud sound of my alarm. I had requested a week off of work, so I was not expected to go in that morning. It was 7 a.m. and my flight left at 5 p.m., that meant I only had two hours before I had to arrive at the airport. My friends thought I was crazy, but my momma aint raise no tardy bitch.

That morning I dragged myself into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, washed my face, then proceeded to my closet. I never understood why people dressed up for the airport, I decided on wearing a pair of black sweatpants, and a halloween sweater, paired with uggs, of course. I then plopped my hair up into a messy bun.

After I got dressed, I rolled my suitcase up by my front door so I was ready. Then I decided to make some chocolate chip pancakes. I just ate them in silence while looked out my window, just waiting to see something worth seeing. Once I finished I cleared my plate, and was off to the airport.

"Ahhh perfect, right on time" I mumbled to myself when I had arrived at 9:03 a.m.. Now only eight hours to kill.

I had a routine for the rare occasions I traveled, first I would get through security, and head to the first restaurant I see, regardless of which one it is, then I find an open chair by the window, and finally grab a quick snack then board the plane. I did this every time.

This time had been no different, I had boarded the plane. My ticket was for a window seat, phew, I hated the aisle seat. Once I had shoved my carry on in the overhead bin, I took my seat and let out a sigh of relief. I popped in two melatonin pills and was out like a light.

"Welcome to New York everybody" the pilot had announced over the speaker. I lifted my heavy head from the window, and began to 'wake up'.

After I was ready to leave, I called an uber and waited out in front of the airport, of course holding my pepper spray bottle disguised as perfume, just girly tings, KAM. As I waited for my ride I kept going through my schedule in my head, Oct. 27th leave, 28-30 explore the city, then on the 31st I would do everything halloween related, and I saved Nov. 1st as a 'recovery day', and was expected back to work on the 2nd.

I say my car arrived and I cautiously slid in, then proceeded to tell the driver where my hotel was.

...

It was the day, the day I looked forward to every year. Was I alone, yes, but I am and will always be a bad bitch, so that's ok.

I got dressed and slid on a pair of light wash mom jeans topped with an orange sweater with a smiling pumpkin, and a black cat sleeping on top. This holiday was my jam. I planned to spend the entire day out. I was ready to leave at 10, right before I left I quickly grabbed my favorite purple scarf.