I Give My Life To The Cause

"..... sorry, really...."

"....she.....be....."

"Is she gonna be okay?"

Lori opened her eyes and saw Randall standing at the foot of her bed and Jack was sitting on a chair beside her. She turned her head to Jack. "Jack?" She said. Then she looked at Randall. "Randall."

The two looked at her, Randall's face becoming serious. "Hey, Lori," Jack said. "How are you feeling?"

"Like all my nerves were cut off and reattached over and over again," Lori replied. She felt the bandages wrapping the left side of her head and looked at her arms to find it bandaged as well. She felt her neck bandaged too. "How are you guys doing? Hopefully better than I am."

Jack sighed. "Yeah we haven't been catching up lately so you don't know this," he said. "Gabrielle and Brandon showed me a spell that showed what others want to see. But it caused bad luck to whoever it's shown or given to. They also played a 'harmless' prank on you." Jack made air quotes with his hands. "Also, they attempted to try and stop their class with Professor Benson, and I found out that the book they were using was a book of murder spells." Then Jack looked down in disappointment. "They ended up using Professor Clarke and I ended up killing him to protect Professor Benson." He couldn't look Lori into the eyes.

Lori put a hand on Jack's hands that were placed on the bed right beside her. "It's not your fault," she said. "I think it was the werewolf in you protecting Professor Benson." Then she looked at Randall. "What now?"

"Well, Hamish and Lilith are coming soon," Randall said.

"Yeah," Jack said. "The Temple Magus told me to tell her once you wake up so she could come see you. She should be coming soon." Lori frowned, looking at her arms and raising it only to find it still trembling. Jack took hold of Lori's hands and brought it to himself. "Don't worry, you'll be okay."

Lori sighed, her head landing back on her pillow. "Wait, can't you just use Death Stitch?" Randall asked.

Lori sighed. "Well, if I just suddenly healed out of the blue wouldn't it make people suspicious?" she asked. "I'll just ask the Magus for help."

Then Randall and Lilith entered the room. "Lori!" Hamish exclaimed.

Lori sighed. "Girl threw burning towel at me," she said. She raised her hands to show it trembling. "Boy, I wanna join in on the fun, but I can't perform the correct magic at the moment."

Jack stood up. "We can stop the magic without killing anyone," he said, looking at the others.

Hamish frowned, confused. "How?" He asked.

"I didn't eat Clarke's heart when I killed him," Jack said. "So the magic targeting Benson, it kept going." He looked at Lori. "So it found a new path to her."

Randall pointed to Jack in realization. "The person driving the car," Randall said.

"Exactly, but the magic started to wear out," Jack continued his theory. "It was less effective, that's why Benson survived."

"We can wear a spell down!" Randall exclaimed happily. "Render it harmless!"

"I heard him," Hamish said, glaring at Randall.

"That's great!" Lilith said sarcastically. "When we find out the target."

"I can find out," Jack stated. "Just let me talk to Gabrielle and Brandon. This will work." He sounded so sure of himself.

"Says the expert," Lilith rolled her eyes.

Jack looked at Lilith. "If it doesn't,....then go ahead and kill me."