Preface

This story belongs to Principle, and is dedicated to Levi.

“When I was a young man I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time but I did not know it. And I had love but I did not feel it. Many years would pass before I knew the meaning of all three. And now, the twilight of my life, has passed into contentment.

Love, liberty, and time: once so disposable are the fuels that drive me forward. And love, most especially, mio caro for you, our children, our brothers and sisters, and for the vast and wonderful world that gave us life, and keeps us guessing. Endless affection mia Sofia.

Forever yours,

Ezio Auditore.”

These words were found on the desk in my father’s study, the day that he died.  He mentions being a young man, but other than that I don’t know much about his past. He made it known to my sister, myself, and even my mother Sofia that he did not want us to be asking him. But now my thoughts echo in my head. What does my father mean? What was it that kept him blind to love, freedom and time? And why wouldn’t he share his past with me?

My twin sister, Flavia and I were only seven when our father passed away on a bench in the market. And that was nearly ten years ago. At the funeral, which was supposed to be small but wasn’t, a woman introduced herself to my family. She said her name was Claudia and she claimed to be my aunt, but she would not share with us the story of my father. She said he had wanted it to be this way. A few years later she was killed, not that she could’ve done much to protect herself, but I always wondered why?