Chapter 16

Daniel's pov

After five days dad was finally getting a discharge. He still had to take care but now he was going to be home.

We picked him up from the hospital and dropped him home. Mom seemed extra chirpy for some reason. We talked with them and then left to let him rest.

Then we both went home and layla went to her apartment. Some time before dinner I knocked on her door. She opened it and said, 'I am not done with cooking yet.' 'I know, I just came over to help you.' I said. She laughed and let me in.

We went on the kitchen and saw vegetables lying on the cutting board. I went over there and started cutting vegetables well I atleast tried to. All of them were uneven. 'Here, let me do it.' Layla said and took the cutting board away from me. While doing that our hands brushed together and i felt sparks fly. She seemed unaffected and continued cutting her vegetables. 'Why were you in the mood to suddenly help me today?' she asked. 'Well, I came home early today and wanted to unwind and relax so I thought what better way than to talk with you.' I told her.

'I should consider myself lucky, the Daniel Harrison considers it relaxing to talk with me.' she said laughing. 'Oh trust me layla, I am the lucky one to spend time with you.' I said and she suddenly looked up at me in surprise.

'Can you please pass me the jar behind you, it has salt.' she said. I picked it up and gave it to her. We both continued talking and finally the dinner was ready.

We went towards the dinner table and sat down to eat our food. 'THE dressing is wonderful.' I told her. 'Thanks. I learnt it in highschool from my grandma.'she said.

'Where does your grandma live?' I asked her. 'Oh, um.... She used to live in new York in a rental apartmeny with me before, later she went to stay in my hometown. She... She passed away a year ago.' Layla replied.

'I am so sorry. I did not know that.' I said. I was genuinely sorry. 'Yeah. After she passed away your mom came to stay with me for a week. She helped me a lot. Maybe that's why I adore your parents so much. They give me the feeling that I am not alone in this world. It feels like I have someone.' she said.

She will always have you. My mind said. She will. I extended my hand and held hers. She looked at me and smiled and wiped a lone tear that had fallen from her eye. 'It's okay. Everything is fine now. I was a bit disturbed after what happened to uncle Robert. But he is strong. He came out of it.' Layla said continuing to eat her dinner.

'You are a really nice girl layla. I mean it.' I said. 'You did not in highschool.' she said raising her eyebrows. 'It was such a long time ago. I was immature and stupid back then. Let's forget all about it. ' I said. She just laughed and shook her head.

'The dinner was really nice.' I said finishing the last bite of my plate. 'Thanks a lot. I am not as good as your professional chef still.' she said. 'The fact that you are making all this for me is enough.' I said picking up the plates.

'Well, good night then. I will go back.' she said getting up. 'Good night layla.' I said to her and she left giving me that empty feeling in my mind again.

I brushed my teeth, changed my clothes and went to lie down on my bed. 

I closed my eyes and was trying to sleep when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.