Chapter 14

Daniel's pov

To say that I enjoyed my time with layla would be an understatement. I looked forward to it. Every single morning I would have breakfast with her and every single night I would have dinner with her. I would occasionally help her in the kitchen as well but everytime I went in I would end up creating a mess. I could also sense that when I did that she would be annoyed and ask me to wait outside. It had become a way of unwinding after work for me.

I would also visit my parents a lot of times. Dad's surgery date was getting closer now.

That night I was having dinner. Layla was sitting by my side. 'If you don't mind can I ask you something?' she said.

'Of course. Go ahead.' I replied. 'You are looking really stressed.' she said. 'It's just that there is a big deal that I need to take of in the company right now. This will be my first independent one. I always had dad by my side to take care of and look over everything. Now I am alone. So...' I said.

'And also there is dad's surgery as well.......' I said and just fell silent. I really was stressed out. Layla kept a hand on my shoulder and I looked upto her.

'You will do well Daniel. You have been working hard. Really hard. Uncle Robert is going to be proud of you. And about the surgery, don't worry, everything will go well.' she said.

'You think so?' I asked her. She nodded. 'Thank you layla.' I said to her. There were a few tears in my eyes. I held her hand and squeezed it and I pulled her in my arms.

Thank you for being there for me layla. ' I said to her. She patted my patted my back and said,' It's okay Daniel. Like I said before uncle Robert and aunt Brenda are my family too.' she whispered in my ears.

I pulled away and rubbed the tears from my eyes. I are the rest of my dinner and we had small talk about other things.

Then she left to go back to her apartment and I was left alone in my penthouse which somehow felt empty now.

She kept mentioning my parents all the time. They really meant a lot to her. And now she means a lot to you. My mind said. No she dosent.

She is my best friend now. I am not the kind of guy to fall in love but now I really did have to admit that she did mean a lot to me now...

After talking with her about my problems I felt much better. I was felt a burden being taken off a little bit.

I shook my head, brushed off my thoughts and went to bed.

One week later

  'The surgery is going to be conducted in a week. He is responding well to the medicines and we will now be able to remove the tumor.' the doctor said. Mom had a sigh of relief on her face but all I could think about was 'In a week.'

The Matthews were coming to sign their deal the same day. What was I going to do?

We left the doctor's cabin and saw layla waiting outside. Mom told her the news and they talked a little bit. Later mom went to be by dad's bedside again while he was sleeping leaving both of us outside.

'Something the matter?' she asked me. 'Yeah, dad's surgery is the same day as the Matthew's deal.' I replied.

We both sat down on the benches. Layla kept a hand on my shoulder. 'Everything will go smoothly. Don't worry. Everything will be fine.' she said. I took her hand from my shoulder and held it. 'You honestly think I will be able to pull it off? Especially when I know that dad's surgery will be going on at that time.' I asked her.

'Of course. You have been working hard. Take precautions and be prepared but don't underestimate yourself Daniel. Uncle Robert is proud of you and will be even more after you sign that deal. Don't worry.' she said.

I said nothing but just pulled her in for a hug again. This time I had grown a lot closer to her. I took a deep breath and sighed with her in my embrace. 'Thanks a lot layla.' I said.

She patted my back and then pulled away. 'Let's leave now. Uncle needs to rest.' she said and I nodded.

She dosent even know how grateful I was to her for supporting me during this time.