Chapter 2

Third person's pov

Daniel realised what he had done and immedietly felt embarassed.

She looked at him and he smiled a little and said, 'Sorry, it's just that you suddenly came in front of me.' she smiled and said, 'It's okay.'

'Why don't you.....?' He said gesturing at the chair in front of him for her to sit. She looked hesitant but got up and sat on it.

'Been a long time since high school.' He said to her. 'Yeah.. It is.' she said. 'So, What you been you been up to?' He asked her. 'I work in a non-profit organisation now, I teach kids literature.' layla replied. 'I know that I should not ask you the same question, everyone knows what you have been up to.' she said and he chuckled.

'I even write for a magazine, articles and stuff. Sometimes.' she said. 'That's great.' He replied.

It was getting a bit awkward and he was glad that their food arrived right then. As they were eating and he tried to initiate a conversation was when someone turned on the TV in the restaurant and it started showing the news about his father again.

Layla turned around and saw it as well. She turned back and looked at him. Daniel looked sad and pushed his plate away slightly.

'Daniel....... .' layla tried to say in a  and Daniel diverted his attention from the TV towards her. 'I know... Its just....' He said. 'Can you please mute the TV. It is kind of disturbing us' layla said out loud to the waiter. 'No... You don't need to do that.' Daniel said in a whisper.

'I do. Please eat. You suddenly stopped and you looked hungry as well.' layla said.

Daniel nodded and slowly took his plate near him again and began eating. 'Sorry you had to hear that' Daniel said. 'Honestly speaking, I knew about this. I just didn't want to bring it up. I am sorry' she said.

'Don't be. The news has been all over the city. Obviously you must have known about that.' He replied and a few unknown tears came in his eyes.

'Daniel.' layla said and got up from her chair. She sat on the chair beside him.

'I am fine. I am really fine. Sorry I reacted like this. I must have made you uncomfortable.' He said. 'No. Not at all. Do you want some water? I will ask the waiter to bring some.' she said and called the waiter.

The rest of the dinner went ahead comfortably and Daniel felt better. He and layla were not that close in school but he felt nice after meeting her today.

After dinner was done layla offered to spilt the bill even if he was ready to pay for both of them. When they were leaving Daniel said, 'Thanks layla. Even if it was unexpected, it was great catching up with you. Do you want me to drop you?' He asked her.

'No, I leave close by. And there is also somewhere that I have to go so you go ahead. It was nice meeting you too. I hope your father feels better.' she said and left.

Daniel felt slightly better after a long time. He looked at the watch. It was ten pm. The visiting hours in the hospital were till 10:30.

He sat in his  car and drove towards the hospital. They immedietly greeted him as he arrived. He was the son of one of the trustees of this hospital.

He quietly went in his father's special ward. His mom looked at him in surprise but he just nodded at her. He sat beside his dad and held his hand. 'I will be more responsible dad, just like you wanted me to be. I will try my best, I promise.' He said.

His mom held his hand and said, 'The doctor said that his condition is better but there is no way to know when will he wake up now.'

'He will mom. I know.' He said. After sitting for some more time over there by his parents' side he got up. It was almost ten thirty now. His mom had a night pass. He didnt. Using his status he could defy the rules but his father would be disappointed if he did that.

He got up, told his mom to take care and left the room. He walked upto the entrance and to his surprise he saw layla over there again!

'Looks like we keep running into each other all the time.' Daniel said. Layla turned around in surprise. 'That might be true.' she said with a slight smile.

'So, what are you.....' He asked her. 'Oh, umm... Its actually a little bit sad but one of my students, she is admitted in this hospital. Actually her mom called me and said that she is remembering me and is feeling lonely, so I came here to visit her.' she said. 'I am sorry to hear that.' He replied.

'I just hope she will be discharged soon.' layla said. 'Amen to that.' Daniel said. 'So, are you still in touch with Caleb and Stella?' she asked him while they both were walking out together.

'Stella and I broke up after high school. Caleb is still my best friend, he was actually one of the first to visit my father. Right now we both are just busy with work. Are you touch with anyone?' He asked her. 'No, not really.' she replied to him.

'You have changed a lot to be honest.' He said and layla looked up at him. 'I can say the same about you.' she said and they chuckled. 'I know, I was such a brat in highschool. I had to change a lot of my ways in college before becoming worthy enough to work for dad.' He said.

'I am happy for you.' layla said. 'Okay, I think this where we part ways. I am going in the opposite direction.' she said as they reached the entrance of the parking garage of the hospital.

'Let me drop you.' He said. 'No, it's okay. I live close by.' she replied brushing it off.

'Layla.' Daniel said and she turned around. 'Thsnk you, for hearing me out. All around everyone just kept on.... You know it was getting tiring. We were not really great friends in highschool but thank you for acting like one today.' He said to her.

'You are welcome. Don't worry Daniel. Your dad will feel better. I hope and I know that.' she said making him smile and she left.

Today's day went a bit better. He thought as he sat in his car. He regretted not asking for layla's number. Somewhere in the back of his mind he wanted to meet her again. He shook his head to clear his mind and started his car and drove back to his house.