⑱You Don't Understand

Start from the beginning

Fuck, shut up, Jeongguk. Just shut up, Taehyung thought as he felt a pang in his heart at his words.

Namjoon gulped, unsure about what to say. He was outright confused about why V would do that. He had never helped anyone like that before. "Jeongguk, just... please go home. He wouldn't want you to see him like this. Remember the last time? He told you to leave."

"I don't care about what he said," he spat out, tears falling nonstop. "He hasn't woken up yet, and I'm scared to death. What if something happens to him?"

That's why you should leave, Jeongguk, fuck! I can't see you like this anymore. He felt a lump in his throat, cutting off air, and tried his best not to move at all.

"Jeongguk, don't make this harder for me. V doesn't want anyone beside his fucking hospital bed. He doesn't need anyone's pity. He doesn't want anyone crying for him."

I don't want Jeongguk crying for me.

"No, you don't understand!" he choked out as he burst out of his seat.

"Lower your damn voice. We're in a hospital."

"Before—yesterday he said—I said that he's only my boss, and I didn't fucking mean it. He's not only my—my boss, fuck. He's so much more, and now he's h-hurting because of—of me. I can't just leave him alone. I have to be here and t-tell him that."

Hearing Jeongguk so broken and sobbing for him, tears escaped Taehyung's closed eyes unwillingly. The beating hurt him physically, but the pain he experienced at that moment was way worse for some reason. The blood would dry out, the wounds would heal, his body would strengthen, and he wouldn't have to do anything about it. But what was he supposed to do for his aching heart?

"I'm not here because I pity him. I don't pity him," Jeongguk said as his sobs decreased. "He's the strongest person I've ever met, and he has no idea how much I admire him for that. For everything, really. Although I don't know a lot of things about him, about his life before I met him, I know he's been through a lot. I also know what he's going through is a lot worse than what I went through. But I can still understand his pain. And he needs people who can understand him."

"You don't know what he needs. You don't know him, and especially you don't know him better than us, his friends. We know each other for nine years, and we've all been through some shit, but V continues to suffer for some fucking reason. Look, I can see that you care about him, but that will only hurt you. V doesn't have a place for friends or whatever you think you are in his life other than the ones he grew up with. So please, don't think he helped you because he cares. He wouldn't do anything if it wasn't beneficial to him too."

Silence enshrouded the whole room, a silence that suffocated Taehyung, and although he wanted to yell with all the strength he had left that Namjoon was wrong, he felt paralyzed.

Jeongguk couldn't think of anything to say. There wasn't anything he could say because Namjoon was right. He didn't know V, he didn't know how he was or what he had been through. He didn't know his background, he didn't know who his friends were, he didn't know if he had a family. He didn't know anything about his life. So how could he just say that he knows what V wants? He didn't know shit.

"Am I stupid for thinking that he actually... cared about me?" he asked in a hushed tone as he closed his eyes to ease the burning sensation.

"You're not stupid, Kook," Namjoon uttered as he neared him and ventured to tuck him into his hug to comfort him. "You just don't know him. And I know what I said was hurtful, but it's the truth. I'm only trying to protect you."

To be honest, Namjoon said what he thought was right. Because in all these years he knew V, he never did anything if he wouldn't gain something himself. The world they were living in didn't have a place for other people.