Hard Times (Chapter 1)

Janessa's POV
(Picture of Janessa above)

I closed my laptop and slammed it on the coffee table, another hospital turned me down.

After graduating from Harvard Medical School two months ago ,I've been searching high and low for a job.

I was starting to think that moving to America was a big mistake. I left Jamaica so that I could further my education and possibly get a job as an general practice doctor. I've always dreamt of being a doctor, as it has always been my intention to help people in whichever career I chose.

I  was extremely proud of myself for completing medical school and medical training at the considerably young age of twenty five. However, being an over achiever did not boost my chances in finding a job at a local hospital. Since graduating, I've applied to start working as an intern doctor at four renowned hospitals in New York City, all of which turned me down.

My lack of experience was the culprit for my multiple rejections, most hospitals were looking for older and more experienced candidates for their open positions. An intern position would however, allow me to gain the experience needed to work my way up the chain to a general practitioner, with a specialty in obstetrics.

Deciding to take a well needed break, I chose my preferred method of stress relief,  a good series on television. Trusting that the situation would eventually work it self out, I cuddled up on my couch, laying my head on one of the soft pillows. I was able to afford a small apartment as I've been saving money since high school. It was not large, but it was something I was proud of.

It was as affordable as New York rent could get and it was more than enough space for me, considering that I was living on my own. It was a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment with a medium sized kitchen and a cozy living room. It had glass windows to allow the natural sunlight to enlighten the room.

(Picture of her living room )

I switched on my mounted television , deciding to re-watch episodes of Criminal minds , obsessed was an understatement. I had always favored crime solving shows.

I had decided that I would continue looking for jobs in the morning , hopefully with a pair of fresh eyes.

I binged watched the show until eleven before calling it a night, needing enough rest for my early morning . I powered off the television,  switched off the lights and made my way to my bedroom . Changing into an oversized t-shirt and some shorts, I went into the bathroom to do my skincare routine and hygiene routine.

I was hoping that I would wake up to some good news regarding employment, desperate to escape these hard times.

(Brief Author's Note)

Did you enjoy the first chapter ?