Chapter Seven

I have always hated hospitals.The smell of disinfectant, which made the place feel fake with it's squeky-cleaness. Or was it the moans of the sick patients, which were like the pleeding voices i had heard in my latest dream of hell. Or perhaps what turned me off them was how the surgeons and nurses always smiled at you when they shoved a needle in your arm or touched a bone that was out of place.

All I know is that I HATE hospitals.

"Paula's on the seventh floor," my mother informed us as dad, mum, Liam and I stepped into an elevator.

When we arrived on the seventh floor, we were greeted with two large glass doors which slid apart from you. And do you know what they were decorated with? Hearts, and smiling faces, and teddy bears and butterflies.

Because this place is a real joy, isn't it?

Once we were in the ward, we rocked slowly up to the nurse's station.

"We are here to see Paula Everdeen, please?" my mother chimed, like it was one of her songs she sang to her kindergartners.

"Sure, right this way," a largish nurse with crooked teeth smiled. She waddle as she lead us to room 809, knocking slightly before she opened the door.

"Mrs Everdeen? You have some visitors here to see Paula," the nurse said. And when Angela nodded, the nurse left the room, and left us with Paula and Aunty Angela.

"Oh Sealy!" Aunty Angela cooed, embracing my mother, "how have you been?"

"Well Ange, i actually have some bad news. Can i talk to you out in the hallway?" Mum said.

"Sure," Aunty Angela said, going a bit pale. As they left my dad followed. And so did dad's shadow, so i was left alone with Paula.

I stood awkwardly for a moment.

"Hey Paula," i said in a small voice.

Without acknowling my greeting, Paula said in a hurried hush, "Did you bring it? Did you bring the stuff?"

I lifted up the brown paper bag i had sneaked inside my handbag. I didn't normally carry handbags, butI had for this occasion.

"Oh Rue, i'd thought you'd forgotten!" she said relived. I embraced her in a warm hug. She quickly let go to look at the contents.

"This perfect, this is everything i needed," she stated matter-o-factly.

"Oh good," i shrugged. Suddenly it became silent again.

Under different circumstances, Paula and I would have been chewing each other's ears off. But this situation was too weird for the pair of us.

"What are they talkng about?" Paula asked, a question that broke the silence.

I hesitated for a moment.

"Um, i don't know if i should tell you," i said.

"Oh come on Rue, pleaseeeeeee!" Paula whigned.

"Well..." I tried to resist.

"PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!"

"I have cancer," i spluttered out. Paula stopped immeditaley.

"What?" she whispered quietly, "but...?"

"I have six months left to live.  It's brain cancer," i told her.

I hardened my face. You will not cry Ruby. I sternley told myself. Not here and now.

"Oh Ruby..." Paula started to comfort, but i didn;t want any of that.