Chapter Twenty Seven - Better Than Words

Comenzar desde el principio

In the end, I tickled him. Yep. I did it. And boy was he ticklish. He immediately let go of my wrists to protect his sides and I rubbed the paint brush all over his face. ‘VICTORY!’ I yelled as I got up with a grin and noticed the attention we had managed to grab. Something jerked my leg and I fell, right on Jace. He had pulled my leg and now we were face to face, me on top of him. I saw the silver in his eyes, right before he said one word. One hellish word that made everyone loosen up and laugh out loud. ‘Revenge, baby.’ He said, right before there was blue paint dripping from my head. Okay, those were two words, not one. Sorry, it’s a bit hard to think when your hair is blue, even though you’re not a Smurf. Wait… Smurfs don’t have blue hair. Smurfs don’t have hair! Except Smurfette… and the beard.

‘Alright, that’s enough now. Go and get yourselves cleaned up you two. Principal will think we were playing Paintball in here.’ That comment from Mrs C earned a few more laughs and Jace stood up, pulling me up. We both were grinning as we walked out.

We both managed to clean up, but my hair line still was tinted blue, not to mention my nose was redder. Jace, on the other hand, had managed to clear out the paint from his face pretty well, but his jacket was having none of it as it had a big wet spot which was also green. Bright green, to my ultimate glee.

We both somehow got out of the washrooms at the same time, and laughed. Who would believe that we even high-fived? The rest of the day went fine. I felt kinda down when school got over and we had to go back to the pack with strict orders of resting for tomorrow’s trip.

But I had other plans, entirely. As soon as we reached the packhouse, I went off to Mama Ebony’s house for a day out with Evan. As I hadn’t properly roamed the town yet, Evan was supposed to take me around and show me the cool spots. ‘Not that there are many –or any- cool spots in this place.’ He grinned as he led me to his car. ‘Now take care of each other, you two!’ Mama Ebony called out as Evan started to drive off and I waved.

****************************************

It was the best day ever.

I loved it! Evan took me all over this tiny town, to places I’ve never been to when I used to live here, and to places I’ve longed to go when I saw kids returning home at night with their parents, with their faces painted on or with new toys. How I missed my own parents at those moments. I never told Mama Ebony to take me to these places. I don’t know why. But I’m glad I didn’t, or today wouldn’t have been so special with my brother.

We bought ice-creams, and cotton candy! Even a diary for me, as his homecoming present –though I doubt I’d actually write in it. He even took me shopping! Haha, we took A LOT of selfies, even with the Mikky D’s clown Ronald. We also went to a haunted house that happened to be open for the season. We even had our faces painted! At the end of the day, before we got back into his car, I hugged him tight and whispered out loud with a happy smile ‘Best big brother, ever.’ He laughed and whispered back in a dramatic fashion ‘Best little sister, ever!’ and we got into his car, laughing.

Little had I known what tomorrow would bring.

*********************************************

After one of the best days of my life, came one of the worst days in school.

Rumour had spread, did you hear, Allyn is dating a former teacher of this school!

‘What? No way!’

‘It’s true! I saw them hugging yesterday!’

‘Oh my gosh! What’s gonna happen now?’

I could only watch as lies were cooked up right before my eyes. They were quite when I walked by, but I could hear them whispering. Gossiping like the trash they were. Lies, and they didn’t even know. Disgusting.