𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄

"Aiden Landis, room five-eighty," calls the pre-recorded voice from the speaker above my door

"Aiden Landis, room five-eighty," calls the pre-recorded voice from the speaker above my door. I look up from the book I'm reading and sigh. Training is never enjoyable, especially days like today.

I dread endurance.

I get in my training clothes; leggings and shirt in dull hues. Dye is scarce these days, and we are not to waste it. I pull my hair into a tight bun at the nape of my neck as I walk to my designated room.

"Master Kael," I say, dipping my head.

He nods in acknowledgment. "Miss Landis. Are you ready for today?"

"Of course," I answer, the lie bitter on my tongue.

Nothing can prepare you for endurance. It takes up the entire afternoon, and often some of the night. The next day, you feel as though you are unable to move your limbs.

Master Kael leads me towards a track. He is a tall, dark-colored man with shock black hair that is hardly untidy. He's a mentor for the advanced, usually older students.

It is a privilege to be trained at the Northerners' secondary base. The primary base is kept secret, for it is where King Amory and only his closest allies reside.

"Miss Landis, your time starts in three..."

I take a deep breath and ready myself for the impending struggle.

"Two..."

Here we go, I think.

"One."

I begin running. I focus on my breathing and ignore the disgrace swelling in my chest. It's hard not to, with Master Kael's condemnatory gaze. Last week, I was given another mission. A night mission.

I shudder and attempt to push the thought away. I loathe the dark.

Or, more accurately, not being alone in the dark.

A significant weakness for an assassin.

I close my eyes as Master Kael's voice rings in my head.

"You failed?! After all that training, you failed?!"

"H-he killed me!" I remember protesting.

My throat still aches every so often. My chest still has painful convulsions when strained too hard. My head still aches in a numb buzz if I think too much. The scars are all agonizing reminders of my past. A past that will haunt me to the grave. That is, if I'm ever given that luxury.

By the one hour point, I am gasping for breath.

"Pace yourself, Miss Landis," Master Kael instructs through his commanding voice.

"Yes, Master," I say between gasps, still running.

He sighs, disappointed at my feeble attempt at following his injunction.