chapter one: Hard Goodbyes and Strange Hellos

"You'd think someone would realize that creepy isn't a good look for a mental hospital by now," Vinia Delgado whispered to her step-brother

"You'd think someone would realize that creepy isn't a good look for a mental hospital by now," Vinia Delgado whispered to her step-brother. "I don't like this place."

The setting sun was streaming in through the windows, a sight that would have been pretty if not for the metal bars over the glass. Everything in the hallway was painted the same oppressive off-white, not even a picture on the wall. The nurse giving them a tour was dressed in gray scrubs and talking softly about the benefits of staying at Eichen House, but Vinny wasn't listening. She was focusing on the feeling of Jacob's hand in hers and trying not to grip it too tightly. The nurse opened an off-white door and gestured for them to enter.

"This is going to be your room during your stay with us, Jacob," she said much too enthusiastically, "and the last stop on our tour. I'll give you a moment to say goodbye to your sister and Miss Belanger before they have to go."

Miss Belanger stepped forward and gave Freddie a tight hug, tears pooling in her eyes. He grimaced and squirmed out of her grasp, looking at Vinny and tapping his nose. She knew how he felt; Miss B gave very pointy hugs and her perfume smelled like mothballs. But she was kind and had been very patient with the two children these past two weeks, so they tolerated her. "You'll like it here, Jacob, I think. I'll miss you!" She opened her mouth to say more, but her phone rang and she flew out of the room to answer it.

Vinia squeezed Jacob's hand. "We can leave, Jakey, if you want to." The boy put his hands on her cheeks, looking into her eyes.

"They can't get out. Lots of strong wood. I will be safe." Vinny barely paused, used to his strange expressions.

"And you'll be okay? You know I don't want to leave you, right?" The boy smiled his vacant, knowing smile.

"You'll be okay. It's quiet here."

"Okay, Jakey. I'll come visit every day, okay?"

"Homework and Twizzlers?"

"You know it."

"It's quiet here."

"I know, Jakey. It is quiet." Tears were flowing freely down Vinny's face now, and Jacob wrinkled his nose.

"Wet." He began rubbing his palms frantically on the side of his shorts. "Not good wet. Sad wet. Too wet."

"Sorry," Vinny laughed softly, but Jacob still winced.

"Not quiet anymore. Getting louder. Not quiet not quiet not quiet not quiet." Gently Vinny led her step-brother to the bed and handed him a tattered stuffed mouse. Jacob closed his eyes and began running his fingers along its soft fur, muttering and rocking on the bed. Knowing it would only make it worse to stay, Vinny blew him a kiss, wiped away her tears, then left the room.

A hand grabbed her elbow and pulled her into the room next door. Vinny yelped in surprise, then spun to glare at whoever had grabbed her. It was the nurse from the tour earlier, looking sympathetically at Vinny.