FORTY FOUR

unedited

FORTY FOUR

FORTY FOUR. BEANIE

BY THE TIME DAISY WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING, HOTCH WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. She expected as much, though it would have been nice to see him before he ducked out for work. In his place, she found a note in his neat handwriting accompanied by a glass of water and some painkillers.

Daisy,

I'm sorry to have to leave like this, but I'm sure you understand why. Have the next few days off, you deserve it after the past case. Take your time and help yourself to any food in the apartment, though I can't guarantee a five course meal. If you need to go anywhere, there's a key to the front door, and the alarm code is 8937.

Aaron x

Daisy smiled lightly, putting the note back on the mattress and pushing back the duvet covers. She stretched out her legs and stood up, wincing slightly at the aching that surged through her body. Part of her was glad she didn't have to go into work - they'd all know exactly what had gone on the night before. It was hard to decide whether or not she was glad the secret was now out to everyone - what was expected of her now?

Grunting a little as she took a step, Daisy's knees trembled slightly. She cursed as she wandered into the bathroom, catching sight of herself in the mirror. Her braids from the night before were slightly loose, though the sight of them made her chuckle. Hotch had been adamant on taking care of her afterwards, even trying his best to do her hair (he did an awful job, but she appreciated the sentiment). She may have been sore, but she felt amazing.

As suggested, she took her time getting ready for the day ahead. She had a long shower, relishing in both the hot water, and the knowledge that she had the whole day ahead of her.

She changed into a pair of jeans she kept in the apartment, and one of Hotch's pullovers. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and finally reached for her phone, which was still in the pocket of her FBI jacket. Turning the device on, she saw that there were three texts and a phone call waiting for her.

MISSED CALL: ST. CAMILLUS CARE CENTRE

TEXT MESSAGES:

A. HOTCHNER: Just checking in, hope you're feeling alright this morning. Let me know if you need anything.

ST. CAMILLUS CARE CENTRE: Ms Daisy Alvarez. I am contacting you in regards to Beatrice Alvarez's current health condition. Please call me back at this number or come to the care centre so that we can have this conversation face to face. Thank you.

E. PRENTISS: You'd better get your ass laid tonight otherwise I owe JJ thirty bucks

The first thing Daisy did was call back St. Camillus. She held the phone up to her ear and began pacing, the euphoria of the previous night quickly draining from her body. Listening to the phone ring, she felt her heart sinking in her chest, her mind immediately shifting to the worst things possible.