30. Taking The Bullet, What A Wicked World

Start from the beginning

He sits up, pointing at me, "You are the most alluring though. Your eyes, bloody creepy but if you stare long enough, very beautiful, Melanie. I must admit." He whispers, I close my eyes, trying to control my breathing, perspiration along my neck and forehead, it was too hot and too cold in this room.

He shakes his head, "Bella was the softer, easier one to take down. She struggled, you know, at the academy, but not with her studies-No, with socialising, making friends, which made it that much easier to target the sunshine blonde. She told Sinclair, which would have been a problem if he didn't find himself in a terrible accident and suffered from short term memory loss that same day. Bella connected the dots, so I improvised when I used a fictional story, also known as the Night Courts. She thought she was meeting her saviour, until she found herself chained to the bottom of the lake." He chuckles.

More tears run from my eyes, "Why would you do that? Why would you hurt those girls like that?" I murmur, holding the urge to whimper.

He opens his arms, "I got away with it, Melanie. I'm a detective, covering up a crime wasn't difficult when you've seen so many the first time." He sniggers.

I glare at him, menacingly, "What? You were sick of being the good guy, earning nothing in return so you chose to be the villain because what? You felt more empowered. Even I think that's pathetic." I grunt out, he kicks my shin, harshly. Before revealing a caliber, specialised from his pocket and placing it on the table, beside his finished plate of dinner.

He points the barrel at me, just before a radio sound enters from his pager, "Detective Johnson, please report to the station, immediately. I repeat, detective Johnson, a missing girl's report has been filed."

Johnson scowls, "Oh for fuck's sake!" He growls, before snapping his eyes back to mine, "You're going to be a good little blonde and stay in this cabin, because believe me when I say, it's sealed in with metal casings and detectors that will set traps outside if you manage to get out. Now, before I leave, I'm going to play this nice and simple, because this will take a while and this is a one time offer, I cut you loose, and you can use the restroom once. Understand?" He growls at me, I swallow, nodding slowly as he cuts the tape on my legs, but not my wrists, he cuffs those with metal cuffs and grabs my arm.

He shoves me forward, "I'm not cleaning your messes, now move." He says, I feel the barrel of the gun in my back, I move down the hallway, before he roughly picks me into the room.

He raises an eyebrow, "Oh, and I wouldn't take long, considering the door doesn't have a lock." He spits at me, before slamming the door closed.

Disgusted, and annoyed that I did need to use the facilities, I do so quickly, and awkwardly, before washing my hands, I quickly grab both of my earrings as the door slams open, he steps in and grabs my arm again, pulling me back down the hall, "This could have gone that much easier if you'd hadn't tried looking into those cases, Melanie. You do realise that, don't you?" He patronises me.

I don't bother saying another word as he slams me back in the chair and uses rope this time, but before I could stop him, he pierces my neck with another dose of whatever he used the first time to knock me unconscious, paralysing my limbs first, he slaps duck tape over my mouth. That part I felt.

It's blurry as he grins above me, kissing my cheek, "Nighty night, beautiful blondie." He says. My eyelids lower faster than I could restrain them.

A slap along my left cheek wakes me from my dreamless stupor, I blink, cracking my eyes open as easily as cracking a piece off a glacier...it wasn't.