Chapter Twenty Four

(Not Edited)

Jisoo released a shaky breathe she hadn't realized she was holding. Zeus had demanded for her presence. In the many years living in the suffocating walls of a little place called Olympus,  Jisoo can safely say that she hates being there. It's why she spends most of her days on the hunt or on earth. Now that she's back in the larger than life palace, built with polished marble and other stone, her chest is heavy. Funny how she can feel claustrophobic in such a huge place.

She spots Hermes first who spares her a knowing glance before immediately trying to walk away from her. Jisoo catches up to him before he could fly away, "it was you wasn't? You told Father about Apollo."

He glances over his shoulder, an eyebrow raised. "It's my job as a messenger to deliver a message. I was given information and told to send it to Zeus. It's as simple as that, Artemis."

"Who sent it to him? Eros?"

He frowns at her. "You know that's strictly confidential."

"Says who!"

"Says me! I have standards to uphold to. You're wasting your time with me. Go see Father before his anger gets the best of him," he smirks, eyeing her hand, "He isn't happy."

Jisoo scowls at him, letting him go begrudgingly. With a tilt of the head and that awful smirk, he flies off, winged shoes carrying him to his next destination. Shaking her head, she focuses on the task at hand, mentally preparing herself to go talk to her father. Though she likes to think she isn't afraid of her father, she finds that most of the time she's lying to herself. Zeus is the king for a reason and even though she knows he's not omnipotent, going against him as just herself is a horrifying thought.

She steels herself as she makes it to the entrance of the pantheon like structure, her father's throne twinkling in the distance. With a determined scowl and as much brivado she could possibly muster, she treks the length of the building. He's staring at her, his posture relaxed and his face void of any emotion.

For some reason, Hera joins him by his side, her hands resting neatly on her lap as she observes with a quirked eyebrow. Jisoo acknowledges her with a side glance before bending to one knee in respect for her father. "You requested me, your Highness?"

"Rise," he said, voice louder than shs expected. "Do you care to explain why you're still in your human form?"

Jisoo looks up at him, her neck straining to look up. She never really put into perspective their size as compared to the humans and she's quick to discover how puny she feels as she stands before him. "I have to return to the mortal realm after this. Transforming takes too much of my energy." The excuse is half-assed, but neither of them cared. It was the reason she was called.

He leans forward, elbows resting on his thighs. "What of your brother?" He quirks his head, face still devoid of emotion. "Any excuses for him?"

Her heart stills, the air turning stale around her. Jisoo lifts her head to her father's piercing blue stare. "Pardon?"

He chuckles, his eyes crinkling in amusement, shifting in his seat again, arrogance and power permeating the space around him. "Don't act foolish, Artemis. It doesn't suit you." His face is set back to the cold mask her wore since the beginning, leveling her. "Was it not your mission to promptly bring back my heir?"

Hera tsked at this, but Zeus ignored her, never once dropping his gaze from his daughter. "Father, I just wanted to know why he left before I made any rash decisions-"

"It's not for you to decide!" he raised his voice, shaking the buildings foundations. Jisoo whimpered, feeling weaker than usual. "He made rash decisions that undermine the interests of this kingdom's future! He forgot where his priorities should be placed." He pauses, standing up to his full height before gradually shrinking down to Jisoo's size, still much bigger than her.

Zeus' human form is burly and tall, 6'5" at least.  He's standing a few meters away from her, eyes still glued on her figure. His jaw is set as he stalks the small distance to her, a silent anger flowing through his veins and a distinguished look of disappointment on his face. "I'm gracious enough to give you one more chance at this. If he isn't back by full moon, do expect an unfortunate end to your earthly escapades."

With a crack of lightning and a roll of thunder, he disappeared, leaving Jisoo to stand frozen like an idiot. It took a moment for her to remember to breath. A loud, simpering sigh brought her attention to Hera's slouching form, a dainty hand lifting her head. In irritation, Jisoo huffs. "Do you need something, Hera?"

Another drawn out sigh. "Oh, nothing. I just thought that your brother's situation is most unfortunate."

"Pardon?"

"He's finally found joy and you're forced to snuff it. Pity, really."

Jisoo leveled her, crossing her arms. "Why do you care about my brother all of a sudden? And didn't you used to say that humans will never be worthy of us?"

She laughs, the spund tinkling in the air like small bells. "Oh, please Darling, I said I am too good for mortals. But to answer your question, I'll ask you one myself. What is it that I love more than power?" Jisoo raised an eyebrow, contemplating her step mother. Hera smirked. "My Children."

Jisoo scoffed. "Ares is still stuck on Earth."

Hera frowns, her pretty face marring into one of barely concealed fury. "Did you think that was my idea? Your father cannot be controlled and his word is law. My Ares would still be here if I had a choice. I miss my son dearly, so don't you ever question my devotion to him." Jisoo bows her head in an apology and another sigh seeps from Hera's lungs. "To bring him back, Hebe has to ascend to the throne."

Jisoo looks up at her, eyes wide. "Are you saying-"

"I'll help you and your brother. As long as that means my little girl can climb up into her father's throne as the future of this kingdom. How does that sound?"

Jisoo gaped, unable to vocalize her many many questions. If Hera helps Taeyong out, he's almost guaranteed to get away with it all. "How do I know you won't betray us in the end?"

"Darling, I could hardly care about what you and your brother do in your spare time. Go be free and roam the earth for all eternity, and I wouldn't even bat an eye as long as Hebe is the queen."

Jisoo nodded, demeanor much more confident than before. "I'll speak with him and get back to you."

Hera smiles for the first time, her mouth twisting up in a way that makes her look cunning. "You have two weeks, Darling. Better hurry up."