chapter sixteen

"Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death"

PINK FLOYD - 'Time'

.                .              .

The day of the court case dawned without much fanfare, and Cali tried her very best to act as though she wasn't tearing apart at the seams as she sat in between Tommy and Thea. Oliver was in front of them, sitting alone at the defendant's table. He looked strangely small, as though he couldn't quite fill the space of the courtroom. This was a place where he was without power. The Hood was nobody here. It was just Oliver against the whole damn city.

Especially considering that Laurel hadn't shown. Despite it being a horrific idea to have Oliver's ex as his representative, Cali had figured that Laurel would be the bigger person. After all, to everyone except Diggle and her, Oliver Queen was innocent. Laurel never let innocent men go to jail if she could help it.

"Where's your attorney, Mr Queen?" The judge asked, brow furrowing.

Oliver stood up, running his palms over his tie in an old habit. He'd started that particular thing in high school, running his palm over his tie before escorting Stacey Morgan into the dance hall. That's been Junior Prom, and the habit had carried over into his later years.

Cali shook herself. Focus on Oliver.

Oliver said, "I'm representing myself, judge." He sounded steady, but Cali watched his jaw clench. Evidently, his plan had relied on Laurel showing up.

"I'm not sure that's the wisest course, Mr Queen."

"I think it is," Oliver countered. "I'm innocent."

The judge took a breath and then nodded, despite her obvious misgivings. "Then we'll consider that your plea."

"Thank you." Oliver sat down again, and only someone who was watching as closely as Cali was would have noticed the slight tremor that started at his lower back and raced up his spine. He was shaking, but only slightly. Was he afraid? Or was this just the next step in his master plan?

See, this was why Cali was loathed to be one of the ones who knew. Plausible deniability would have rendered that small shiver genuine, and her heart would have gone out to him, but ever since their failed conversation in the police station, Cali couldn't manage to fight off her suspicion. How could she trust anything that Oliver said or did, knowing that he was comfortable lying to everybody to get what he wanted?

Cali didn't pay much attention to the discussion of bail. She knew what they were going to say. The Queen family was too rich, too influential. They had too many luxury items; anything the city could take away could be replaced. Everything except Oliver.

"So then I guess it's a good thing that the people's case is so circumstantial." Laurel's voice was purely business, and Cali was impressed at her friend's restraint. Lord knew it had to be difficult for Laurel to walk down the aisle of the courtroom, ready to defend the man who'd broken her heart and taken her sister away. "Dinah Laurel Lance, your honour. I'd like to file my appearance on behalf of the defendant."

"I didn't think she'd show," Tommy confessed in a whisper, and when Cali looked up at him, his eyes were fixed solely on Laurel's face. There was awe in that look, but it was shadowed by a deep-rooted suspicion.

Cali inhaled but didn't say anything. She had nothing to say anyway. Laurel's heart had always belonged to Oliver. Tommy would never get all the way in.

Cali knew it. Tommy knew it. Laurel knew it.

Denial was just one hell of a drug.

"Mr Queen's wealth should not deprive him of the right to be released on bail while under the presumption of innocence," Laurel continued.