19th July 2014

The scorpions circled each other with tails poised and claws raised. The tap tap of their steps echoing up from the glass that they moved across with a practiced ease, waiting patiently for their opponent to make the first move. 

Once they did, the fight would begin.

All it took was one misstep, a wave of a claw that was just too close to ignore. A drip of poison from the over eager tip of a stinger. Their bodies shook with anticipation, the hard obsidian of their shell glistening as if it had polished just for the occasion. Warriors. Champions. Made to fight for their lives because their keeper wished it so.

"My King." The woman greeted, her voice thick with hesitation. 

Sure enough, he emerged from the darkest corner. The shadows appeared to cling to him as if they fought to keep him there. It was the kind of entrance that told her to be wary; his visits were never a good omen and the title of the Dark King was not unwarranted. as his eyes met hers, the goddess of anger and rage felt numb.

The scorpions went to war.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" Red lips trembled as he stopped before the fighting arachnids. "I'd heard a terrible rumour that you'd been lost in battle. That the Godkiller had bested you."

His face remained neutral, a sinking feeling she was mostly immune to forming in the pit of her stomach. Her hand rested on the top of her thigh, slipping down into the cushions were she kept one of her many weapons. The small blade felt cold in her hand, the poisoned edge stinging her fingertip as she struggled to get a good grip.

"Is that why you came?" He reached for another of her pets, kept in a silver cage by the small arena where the victor was starting to emerge. "To see if the rumours were true?"

The scorpion sat in his hand as docile as a pet mouse would, curiously moving across fingers as he held it up for inspection.

"I haven't left for days, my king." She answered smoothly.

Kara came to stand beside Cain, and he barely glanced her way. "Lyssa, meet your new Queen. You may call her The GodKiller or, your highness."

Lyssa looked the other woman over. "This is not the Godkiller."

"I can assure you, I am." Karas tone was cold, and as the sword appeared at her side, Lyssa only glared.

"Who were you expecting?" Cain taunted, running a finger along the scorpions back.

"What is the meaning of this? I demand you-" Cain dropped the third scorpion onto the table and this one charged forward to meet the former champion.

Cain didn't even move, the air leaving Lyssa before she could even process that she was now frozen. Her pets were freed, the scorpions all making their way towards her. They climbed the soft red fabric of her gown, across her exposed flesh and seemed to wait for the command to attack she knew he was not above issuing.

"You are not in the position to make demands!" Cain roared, the area smashing to pieces as it was thrown to the side and he stalked towards her through the explosion of glass. "Speak the truth and I may show you mercy."

His threat had her struggling to swallow. Weapons forgotten, Lyssa couldn't summon a single inch of power to even attempt to fight back. Even if she did, she felt the prick of a stinger by her breast; glancing down she saw the creatures, her own creations, ready to turn against her.

"Fine. I did it. Is that what you wanted to hear?" Cain just glared at her.

"What did you have to gain from turning us all against each other?" Kara asked, trying to work out how quickly a threat to her rule had appeared. No wonder Cain had become so paranoid. "You want to be Queen?"

"No!" Lyssa declared quickly and Kara believed her. "I never wanted to rule."

That surprised her. "Then why?"

"I know you're not her. I've seen the God Killer before, a mortal of all the pathetic creatures! She killed my friends, Enyo, Phobos. I loved Eris like a sister and that bitch deserved to die. They all help her. Worship her. They all deserve-"

The poison hit Lyssa like a thousand electric shots; her carefully built up immunity failing as the dose was beyond anything anyone should ever endure.

"Cain, this isn't what we agreed on." Kara didn't know what to do. 

Hermes lead had brought them here. They'd decided to go and check it out, give who ever was behind it a bit of scare with the ghost of the former King and a warning from the God Killer to back off. 

He shrugged. "You wanted to come with me. I only agreed to that.

One by one the scorpions fell away, the figure that remained completely different to the one that had been here when they arrived. Gone was the beautiful goddess, and in her place was something that hardly resembled her at all. The poison darkened her skin, made it swell and bubble. It wasn't until she heard the gurgle of a breath that Kara realised Lyssa was even still alive.

"Apollo can heal her, she won't-" Kara stumbled on her words, unable to look away.

"If he did, she will only try again. Her target will only now include you as well, not just Elise." A part of her didn't want to believe him, but enough of her did. "Here."

He held out his hand, and ever so slowly she passed him the sword. 

"Go, I'll see you outside." He told her.

"I'm not weak. I can do this." Kara snatched it back.

"I never said you were. This is not your burden. This is not how you start your rule, you will do better."

"But-"

"You were never here." He stepped towards Lyssa, ignoring Kara's protest yet she left him alone. 

Bloodshot eyes blinked open, once, twice; and among the cushions he saw the hilt of a sword hidden there and retrieved it. 

"I never understood your obsession with bugs, but always admired your talents with poison." He inspected the blade, knowing it wouldn't be as simple as it appeared. "Eris loved you too."

The blade turned red as Cain delivered the final sting, her blood too thick and ruined to make the most of the release he gave it. The sword was dropped beside Lyssa's now lifeless figure and Cain walked away. 

"Thank you." Kara said as he joined her outside.

"None of this was for you." He answered flatly.

"I know." Kara glanced behind them for briefly. "But thank you anyway."

Cain relaxed slightly. "You're welcome."

_________________________________

Oh hey! Feeling a little like a stranger coming back on here... I'm so sorry it's taken me this long. I've been trying to get the last chapter 'right' as we're heading to the end, maybe 2-3 chapters to go... and whatever happens, will determine if this is the end, or if there will be a book 6! 

How insane is that?

Book 6

Well, let's see what Elise has planned to happen next! I honestly have no idea at this point. What do you think? Would you even want there to be a #6 or are you ready for it to be wrapped up?

Thanks for your patience and for still reading along! xx