6th July 2014

Ailin walked into her office, skimming over the folder in her hand before sipping the coffee in the other. Sitting at the desk, she put them both down and lifted the screen on her laptop which was already logged into the Network.

First, she checked the urgent jobs that had been logged overnight; the usual cases unfolding as she processed them as efficiently as she could considering these weren't the missing Hunters she cared about right now. Obituaries followed which signalled a further loss of her people. Thankfully, nothing dramatic had happened. These were standard cases with standard results.

"I miss coffee." Portia startled the demon President, appearing on the edge of her desk in a way that the Hunter that currently dominated her thoughts had often done. "Good morning, Ailin"

Another cup appeared beside Ailins and she handed it over the creature, her hands instantly and noticeably shaking.

"Portia." She greeted with caution.

As if enjoying the power she currently held and determined to make the Kasha leader suffer despite her act of kindness, Portia slowly breathed in the dark liquid before taking a long, slow, sip. She sighed in contentment at the heat on her tongue, the slightly bitter, toasty flavour and closed her eyes savouring the few seconds of what had been part of her normal morning, and evening routine.

"Please tell you did not come just for the coffee. Our cafeteria is terrible." Ailin interrupted, unable to hold back anymore.

"No, I did not, how rude of me." It was as much of an apology she was going to give. "I told you I'd let you know how it goes and well, the war has officially ended. Elise has survived."

Ailin had suspected as much, the maiden gave no indication of anything terrible occurring in the casual way she had arrived. The breath she released in relief was still warranted and leaning back in her chair, she even let herself smile.

"Thank the gods!" She sighed.

"Thank Elise. The Gods were of no help to her." Portia mused, swirling around the lump of foam that remained on top of her cup. "We'll see what happens in the days to come."

"And what of Apollo? Kara and Cain? How did it happen?" Ailin pushed, eager to hear the details and if need be, ready herself for whatever state Elise may return in.

Surprising the President, Portia tensed and set her cup down. Her red lips pouted as she stared beyond Ailin and at the painting of the wall of the ocean. The blues swirled together with an expert touch, varying shades to match the depth and mystery of the form that it represented. 

"All in good health." She spoke briefly of the battle, more focused on the outcome. "Nieve and Adala think I had something to do with it, of course, they do! I know my place, it was probably Nieve. We all know she feels obligated to help him because of that third he was involved with. She claims she doesn't care, but she is always the first to mention him. It's not even that. Cain's path became clear. His decisions had been made the second she showed back up. He's always been weak with her. That damn bar was the first sign, not sure why it took me so long to realise, but I was busy trying to organise the Academy. Did he ever help with that? No." 

Ailin just stared, shocked and unsure what she had just witnessed as Portia babbled away. One thing became very clear - she wasn't thrilled with Cain's survival in all this or seemingly, Elise's part in it. Portia realised her mistake instantly. Snapping her fingers, Ailin froze.

"Nevermind, the end was right, there! We had it in our hands, we were ready to cut the thread!" Finishing her coffee, she carried on for a moment longer. "You see, she is the ultimate wild card. Love her, hate her, it doesn't matter. Do you know how powerful and dangerous that can be? Of course you don't and I've said too much. You'll forget all of this, except for the fact the girl is alright."

Ailin repeated the words in a zombie-like tone, "the girl is alright."

Portia rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers, causing the demon to shiver back into reality.

"I'm so glad she is alright!" Ailin sighed in relief. "And what of Apollo? Kara and Cain? How did it happen?"

"Nevermind that, I'm sure she will tell you in time. Oh, she is to be Queen now. So who knows how this will go!" Portia faked a smile and stood up, yet Ailin was left confused over the sudden change. "Until next time."

Portia disappeared and Ailin slumped back in her chain, the headache that was forming at her temples likely the side effect of too much coffee. Elise was okay, the relief was instant until the rest sunk in. Instantly she was texting the Bunting family and friends with the update before letting herself relax for the first time in days. Finishing her coffee, she began to laugh until she started to cry and pulling herself together, she got back to work.