Twenty One.

Ellie POV

I bit my nails nervously, chomping at them as if a snack as my mind ran wild.

I knew it was a possibility.

Deep down, I hated that I didn't tell him to stop. That I let Maddox fall into a trap my baby-wanting ovaries set for the both of us.

And now, I have to face the dreaded two minute wait after peeing on a stick that'll determine my future.

I mean, at least Max will be by my side through it all. I'll probably just make him read it. He is a Doctor.

A sigh left my lips as I walked down the sidewalk with Dixie in tow. She was sniffing every tree and fire hydrant with glee and happiness which only helped my anxiousness settle slightly.

Her head pointed upwards at incoming traffic as her tail wagged fast enough to create a wave of wind behind her like a jet.

I giggled as I searched what she was looking at. My heart pounded out of my chest as I saw Chris and Sam sitting in Sam's Jeep. Their lips interlocked as they passionately kissed. Chris was holding his face tenderly as Sam did the same.

My eyes couldn't look away. Pure shock and a tinge of guilt ran through me.

I quickly pulled Dixie away, to leave them in their hidden romances but it was difficult to hide the happiness I felt for the two of them.

Sam never told anyone he wasn't straight but I mean the signs were all there. I've known him for five years and never once saw him hitting on a girl or even go on a date.

To find the two men, who were there to pick me up when all seemed lost, being romantic to one another, all I could do was hope they could become more.

I kneeled to Dixie with a bright smile and held her wet snout to my nose. "We tell no one, Dixie. This is our little secret." I whispered to her playfully, only earning a big lick to my face.

"Hey!" Chris called from behind me.

I quickly stood, trying to hide the enormous smile that tugged at my lips.

"I'm glad I didn't stay at Max's. You look like you were fucked good." Chris smirked, his own smile mimicking mine as we both tried to keep our gleaming happiness from one another.

"And who is this?!" Chris leaned down, petting Dixie.

Dixie marveled at the attention, loving the fact that she wasn't stuck in Max's apartment all day while he was at work.

"This is Dixie."

"Aren't you just the cutest, Dixie? Yes you are. Yes you are!" Chris baby talked just like I always do to her.

"You're extra happy today." I acknowledged, promising myself I wouldn't push information out of him.

But I was dying to know.

Chris shrugged as we continued to walk. "I met someone last night."

"Oh, yeah?" I side eyed him.

"Ellie, stop playing dumb. I saw you running down this road like a murderer was chasing you. The only time you ever run is when I force you to go to the gym or you're hiding from someone." Chris huffed with a roll of his eyes. "Just promise not to say anything? He's not ready."

I nodded. "Lips are sealed. Even Dixie's."

Chris thanked me silently with his eyes.

"You two would be so cute together. Sam is such a nice guy. You both deserve each other. You both deserve to be happy." I had to add. Chris had to know I was happy for him and that I wouldn't make it weird.