Twenty Seven.

I sat in the passenger seat quietly as Max drove us back to the apartment. So much was running through my mind but yet, I still couldn't think straight.

"Can I really die?" I asked him, looking out the window since I wasn't able to meet his glance.

"Pre-eclampsia is serious, L." Max whispered, placing his hand to my knee.

"That didn't answer my question."

Max's hand tightened and squeezed my knee reassuringly. "It won't get to that. The doctors and myself will be keeping a close eye on you if that's the case. Dr. Hunter isn't even positive that's why you're blood pressure was elevated. It could just be from the stress you dealt with today."

All I could do was nod and watch the garage building come into view. Max parked in his usual spot in the back where it seemed there was less lighting.

"Ellie," he hushed and paused until I looked to him. "I won't let anything happen to you."

My eyes felt heavy as I looked to his glossy ones.

"But there's a chance." I clarified again, turning my body to him completely.

Max shook his head and pulled on my hand. His strength forced my body on top of his as I cradled his legs in the driver seat. His soft hands held my face in place as I tried to look around the darkened garage to avoid his stern gaze.

"Ellie, I will not let anything happen to you. Do you hear me? That's a promise." His voice deepened when his words rolled off his tongue.

"But-

"No. I'm telling you, nothing is going to happen as long as I'm here." He cut me off, his hand roamed under my shirt, teasing the skin on my back with little circles. "I'm going to take care of you."

"What are you doing?" I scolded him once his fingers found my bra strap. He fiddled with the material until it unclasped, releasing my breasts under my shirt.

His eyes lit up with a small amount of amusement when I wiggled in his hold.

"Taking care of you." He whispered moving his hands downward and under my leggings until each ass cheek was in his hands.

I breathed out an inhale I had been holding at the sensation his soft hands gave me.

"Do you trust me?" He murmured, rubbing his nose down the length of my neck, stopping at my collarbone where he placed gentle kisses.

I froze for a moment at his tickling touch, forgetting the world around us just outside his tinted windows.

"Max, I trust you but-"

"No buts except the ones in my hands." He groaned, squeezing my ass tightly. My body instinctively leaned forward and pressed against his with force. "I know I've fucked up and trust is earned. I swear to fuck, I'm going to get you to trust me a hundred percent again. I just need you to believe me right now."

My hips rocked on his at the promises of love he was making me. The seriousness and utter commitment evident in his, deep sensual tone made my whole being crave every inch of him.

I held his scruffy face in my hand and rubbed him until our noses were touching softly at their tips. His eyes fluttered closed and sealed his worried filled eyes from me.

"I need you in my life. I can't even begin to explain to you how happy I've felt since seeing you again, since having you again. I'm sorry you're pregnant. I know you didn't want this. But it'd be a lie if I said I didn't want it too." His eyes opened slowly showing his darkened greens. His hands moved lower down my ass, taking my leggings with them.