05 | NEIGHBOUR

My parents drop me off at Aiden's house on their way to their dinner like I'm ten

My parents drop me off at Aiden's house on their way to their dinner like I'm ten. It was my own fault for not driving to their house this evening.

My mom laughs when I scowl at her when she asks whether she should walk me to the door.

I tell her, "I'm taking wine and staying out past my curfew, Mom. I think I can walk myself to the door." She laughs again and kisses my cheek before I alight

Aiden's house is almost at the edge of the city. He enjoys the quiet. It's a beautiful place that he built from the ground up.

I press the buzzer outside the door in case the kids are asleep and we've all made that mistake before. Thankfully, Rosalie and Aiden's kids have the same pleasant disposition of their parents and coaxing them back to sleep wasn't too, too hard.

Rosalie opens the door smiling at me. Her light brown hair is in a ponytail and she's wearing a t-shirt and jeans like me.

"Hi, Isa," she pulls me in for a hug. "Come on in. I was doing the only form of cooking that I can: microwaving."

I laugh, but Rosalie's lack of culinary skills is no joke. I'm almost afraid that she'll set the place on fire if she boils water on the stove. Actually, she's gotten a lot better at cooking after living with Aiden. She can now make pancakes, as long as there is supervision and someone helps her make the batter.

Batter isn't her strong suit.

I follow her into their empty kitchen.

"Where's Carmelina?" I ask, looking for Aiden's long-term housekeeper.

"We gave everyone the night off because we're home and the kids shouldn't be too difficult."

There are packs of microwaveable popcorn and other random microwave snacks and dinners on the kitchen counters.

"I brought wine," I say, putting the bottle down on the counter.

Rosalie gazes at the bottle. "None for me," she says, "I'm breastfeeding."

"You're such a lightweight, Rosa. I wouldn't give you any even if you weren't."

Rosalie laughs with me, but makes a face all the same.

"Are Jenna and Elliot here?" I ask, nodding to the snacks because it was their turn to get them

"Jenna is here. She's in the study, yelling at someone on the phone," Rosalie tells me, "Elliot, Ace and Scarlett will be here. Elliot got held up at the hospital and Ace had a meeting that ran late. Aiden is upstairs introducing the kids to Marco."

My insides do a weird thing at the mention of his name.

Actually, no.

My insides have nothing to do with Marco.

I nod, trying to seem distant, but Rosalie is too busy trying to get the settings on the microwave right. I'm not complaining. "What are we watching today? I ask her.