35 | SURPRISES

ONE YEAR AND SIX MONTHS LATER

Isa's Phone

12:37 PM: Voice Note from Scarlett

Isa...I'm sorry about what happened. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I need you to know that it's not your fault. It really isn't, Isa. You did everything you could to make it work, but sometimes, things just ... they don't work out. Please don't blame yourself. We all love you, most of all Marco. Please don't shut him out. I know you must think he's angry at you, but he's not Isa. He loves you so much and he wants to be there for you. Please answer your phone. It's not your fault, Isa. Call me anytime. I'm always here for you.

Marco's Phone

12:38 PM: Voice Mail from Elliot

"Marco. Are you alright? I didn't want to call Isa because I know that she must be torn up about this. I'm so sorry, man. I know how excited you guys were about this. Please tell Isa not to blame herself. I know she will. Oh, shit. You're out of town, aren't you? Because of that new building you're designing. Get home safe, Marco. Let me know if you need anything and I mean anything."

Isa's Phone

12:39 PM: Messages from Jenna

Isa?

Babe. I was with Scarlett when you called.

I think you knew that, but you were crying too hard to hear what I said.

And now, you're not answering your phone.

Please tell us where you are.

Isa?

01:02 PM: Voice Mail from Mom

"My Isa. I am so sorry, my darling. I ... I can't imagine what to tell you, sweetheart. I've been trying you for a while and you don't answer. It keeps sending me to voicemail. You ran out of the hospital so fast and I couldn't find you. I know you're missing that Marco isn't in town, but Isa, you can't go radio silent like this. Please call me, sweetheart. I love you."

01:03 PM: Voice Mail from Marco

*Audible sniffling*

"Isa. Isa, please answer the phone and tell me where you are. I'm coming to you. Isa, please call me back. I've been trying you for forty minutes now and I know that no one can get through to you. Please answer my call, Isa. I love you, Isa. I know you're blaming yourself, but you can't, Isa. It's not your fault. It's not. You were careful and wonderful. From the day we found out, you've been so great. Isa, if I could give you back the happiness you had before all this, I would, but please, Isa, don't shut me out. You're my wife, Isa and I will always love you no matter what. We've been through so much. Let's get through this together. Please answer."

63 Missed Calls from Marco

Marco's Phone

01:34 PM: Voice Note from Isa

"I – I

*Audible crying*

I can't talk to you, Marco. I want to, but I can't. I can't talk to anyone.

*Sobs*

I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Marco. It's my fault. I know you're telling me it's not, but it is. I should have been more careful. I should have eaten better. There are a million things I should have done. I'm sorry, Marco. I'm so sorry I ruined this for us. I know how excited you were. I'm sorry."