32 | SAVIOUR

Scarlett, who had been out of town all weekend for a meeting, called me thrice since Friday

The first time she called, she asked me how I was doing. I told her that I was fine.

The second time, she told me that I can tell her anything that's on my mind and that I can vent to her. Again, I told her that I was fine, as you do.

The third time she called, I answered, and she said one thing: Isa. And I broke down.

I don't know for how long she listened to me crying.

When I finally stopped, she asked me whether I at least cried over the plants in my house because they definitely needed watering.

It made me laugh.

She told me that she told Rosalie, Jenna, Aiden and Elliot to let me be alone for a while.

They didn't listen.

Elliot sent me the funniest YouTube videos I've seen in a while.

Jenna sent me a recording of her neighbour playing the clarinet, which did sound completely like a dying asthmatic whale.

Rosalie and Aiden sent me a dozen doughnuts.

All of them did their best to keep me sane even though they never did anything to me in the first place and by Monday, I was feeling a lot better.

Only one person didn't contact me all weekend.

The person who caused all this.

The person who broke my heart.

The person that I've fallen in love with.

The last person I want to talk to right now.

The person who is now, seated on the floor, outside my door, blocking my way into my house.

It's too late to retreat.

My heels have already announced my arrival.

There's a split second before he looks at me.

There's no way I can leave.

And there's no way that I will leave.

Isabella Hammond doesn't run from things.

Marco follows the sound of my heels and finds me standing on the other end of the hallway. He looks at me for a few silent seconds before getting to his feet.

There's something different about him.

Marco, in the months that I've known him, has never been the stoic kind. He and Ace are complete opposites. Yet, there was something grim about the way he just was. Something rigid.

It's gone now.

He's lighter now, almost like there's an underlying smile in his expression at all times.