four

WARNING: This story will contain smut, ptsd, and details of a major accident. Also, a disclaimer: While I have done research on the medical and qualification aspects of this story, there may be slip-ups or possible inconsistencies.

 Also, a disclaimer: While I have done research on the medical and qualification aspects of this story, there may be slip-ups or possible inconsistencies

Sanjana's taking out ingredients from her fridge to make smoothies for her and Niall when the doorbell rings. The sound brings a huge smile to her face as she sets down the carton of blueberries, almond milk, and bunch of bananas she was balancing. She starts making her way through her kitchen, the living room, and then the foyer that leads to the entrance area.

When she's right in front of the door, she pauses for a few moments, hoping that she doesn't look too eager to see Niall when she opens the door. Ever since their... whatever it was back at the bar, they've been spending a lot of time together. More time than she's spent with anyone since her accident. On the days they don't meet with Daniel, they meet at parks or at her place, doing exercises, talking, just being around each other.

Today, they're meeting with Daniel, and they've started to carpool together too. It's Niall's turn to drive and she figured the least she can do is whip up some protein smoothies for them. She takes a deep breath and when the bells rings once more, and unlocks her door, waiting to find the ridiculously handsome man she looks forward to seeing every day on the other side.

Instead, she comes face to face with the smiling, painfully adorable Melanie Chu — who is dressed in her signature part time fashionista style. Form-fitting blue jeans with a black belt and an off-the-shoulder white top, combined with her long black hair and big, adorable eyes. Like every time Sanjana sees Melanie, she's both a little in awe and a little disappointed in her own lack of fashion sense.

"She's alive," Melanie roars out, in a voice much too loud and enthusiastic for such a small person. She steps forward and wraps her small arms around Sanjana in a hug. "I missed you, Kash money."

The nickname, one based both off of Sanjana's last name and that time that she had stolen a junior level show in a brand new green skating dress and pair of expensive skates (a consolation gift from her parents since they had to miss the competition, yet again), makes her smile. She wraps her arms around Melanie and hugs her back.

Competitive figure skating isn't made for making long term friends, or frankly, any friends at all. At a certain point it becomes less about cute skating girls and boys joining forces to perform in their local rinks' showcases to turning their backs on each other to add an extra edge — to do what every single one of them is aiming to do — get the gold.