Chapter Twenty-Six - Secrets

Start from the beginning

"Woah! That's an actual Invisibility Cloak! Awesome!" Frank says, and in turn he recieves a glare from Alice. I snicker at this and then hold it up. It's a silvery cloak, and is made out of a delicate material that just runs through my fingers like silk. 

I look around and see that Moony still has his head bowed. "Why did you decide to become animagi?" Mary asks, and I glance at Moony before answering. "To help Moony on the Full Moons. It's easier if we're all there. " I say simply, and the girls nod in realisation. "Huh, that's actually really noble." Lily mutters, and we all look at her in shock. So...does this mean that she won't try to kill me?

"It is! Don't worry, we won't say anything. And Remus, I already knew! I found out in fifth year! You know, for all of your secrecy you really are not that great at hiding it!" Lily adds, and Moony looks at her with wide eyes. "You...you knew since FIFTH YEAR! And you are still friends with me? Why? I'm a monster!" he says, and Lily rolls her eyes. "Remus, you are literally the most gentle person...EVER! And you aren't as scary as you think!" she says, and we all laugh. "Yep Moons! You fold your socks, you big scary monster!" Padfoot adds in, and Moony even cracks a smile.

"Yep Remus. It's not your fault. And anyways, did you really think that we would judge you when we hang out with SIRIUS of all people! And we all know that there really is something fucked up about him!" Marly says, and Mar and Ali nod in agreement. "Oi!" Padfoot shouts, lunging for his girlfriend. We all burst into peals of laughter, and then Ali speaks up.

"So, this is what all the stupid nicknames mean then?" she says, and we all turn to face her. "STUPID! I think that they are pretty damn good!" Padfoot says, and me and the boys all nod in agreement. "What do they stand for?" Lily asks, and I say, "Well, Moony stands for Full Moon, but that's fairly obvious. Wormtail is Pete's nickname, because his animagus is a rat. Padfoot is a dog, so...yeah. And I am a stag, so Prongs.". "Hmmm...clever!" Ali says, and we all start laughing. "When did you complete the transformation?" Mar asks curiously, and I reply, "In fifth year. We came up with the idea in second year, and it took years to do it. And hey, do you remember when we took that vow of silence for a month in fourth year?". "Oh my Merlin!" Lily says, shocked, "That's when you had the mandrake leaves in your mouths!". We all nod, and the girls and Frank laugh. "Oh, I have to say, that was one of the best months of my life!" Lily says, and the boys and I all roll our eyes, and this ends the night.

Friday passes quickly, and then it is finally the weekend.

The sun is out on a beautiful Saturday morning, and even the chill that has surrounded the school in recent weeks has lifted, leading to a simply beautiful day. In fact, it's warm enough to go outside in nothing but a shirt and trousers! We all sit and try to get some work done at the edge of the lake, basking in the rare sunshine. 

I try to get some of my homework done (I have more than anyone else, due to the intense amount of catch up work I have to do!) while most of the others just lounge around me. Ali and Pete are also working, and the scratching of our quills is the only noise breaking the serene silence. I decide to drop my work as it nears half eleven, deciding instead to make the most of this gorgeous day.

I lay down, resting my head against the large tree that we have claimed as our spot. I'm next to Lily, and I hear her hum lightly as she closes her eyes and brethes in the fresh air. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" she murmurs quietly, and I say, "Yes. Yes it is.". 'Just like you' I add in my head, but I resist from saying it aloud.  I have long since put it behind me that my feelings for Lily shall never be reciprocated, and I really am trying to get over her. The attack earlier this week really did put things into perspective for me though. Oh Godric, that sounds totally cringey! But I mean it - all I thought about in those last moments before I went unconcious was Lily, and I really do think that it was the memory of her and all of my friends that stopped me from fading into the light.