26. Love On The Rocks

Start from the beginning

I was almost all too confused and wary of standing next to her after what my two eyes saw in what I thought was her desk room but just down the hall she came through, an office door with her name on it was obvious and could easily be pinpointed.

Edmund glances between the two of us, "Yes, we did."

"All of you?" She asks, glancing over to me.

Edmund immediately says, "Yes."

She waves him off and turns to me, "I was told you did not attend, Melanie. Was there any reason behind your absence?" She asks me, tilting her brunette head that was tied into an exponentially tight bun.

I turn to her, "Yes, I was. During my time away, a change of venue has enlarged within my family's enterprises, to which I now run a few mere districts. I have multiple meetings whenever I do not have scheduled classes. I recall emailing you in regards to these featured developments. I don't recall a reply back, Principal Jewel. I was about to check-in with you. Those apparent compulsory dance lessons will have to be side-lined on this accord. Surely you understand my predicament?" I was more professional than she could imagine, she side-glances the elite and Lorraine, noting their presence once more.

They looked at me in slight astonishment, my proper yet harsh words took a change of direction, one they couldn't foresee. Only because they didn't have all the facts, or the proof of just the kind of teacher this sly witch really is. I hadn't liked her from the beginning, now I know why.

"Yes, which is why I requested your presence. There are also a few issues, regarding your sessions with Professor Forthright. He's put in a strong complaint of your absence for the past month, you had not answered any of his emails or Skype calls, according to him. I don't take lightly to my students giving my Professors a hard-time, could we discuss more in my office?" I tilt my head, she smiles tightly.

The atmosphere is tense.

I let out a small laugh, fake as it was, "Yes, we should chat but, according to your rules and states of academic law, students should not be forced, nor graded on sessions regarding counselling and mental development in the school premises. I have bypassed the...certain change. I don't take lightly to Principals directly questioning my absence when you were so clearly told of my whereabouts during those times. Do most professors complain about certain students, and so directly to? That's not professional, Principal Jewel." I tell her, she steps forward, a threat on her tongue and a bitter bite in her eyes. She doesn't like being told she has a 'control' problem.

"Miss Myers-" She starts, before someone interrupts.

"Ms Jewel, Professor Forthright requests you see him in his office. Immediately." It was Gloria, the main student advisor and Principal assistant, now it seems.

"I need five minutes with Miss Myers, tell him to wait Gloria. Please, Melanie, if you will follow me." She says, strictly. Gloria flinches, nodding wordlessly as Principal Jewel's heels click.

I watch her with narrowed eyes, Lorraine whispers, "Code red?" Something we made up in elementary to secretly tell the other the levels of danger one may be in.

I purse my lips, "Yellow." I murmur, nodding to her while the others look confused. I step away and forwards, following after Principal Jewel. I was thankful that when I sat down in front of her and her desk, this floor was lower than the one I previously saw her on.

She folds her hands on the desk, "I spoke out of tone before, Melanie. I do apologise for that. It has been a stressful couple of weeks. Your Professor truly knows how to set in as many complaints as he can. He's very fond of you." She tells me, staring at me closely, gauging my expressions, which remained blanked than the grey, dreary skies above.