iii. revenge offers unsolicited advice

AFTER A ROUGH LANDING at the Great Salt Lake, Camilla and the crew—minus a still-unconscious Jason and Piper, who was watching over him—sat around the dining table for an emergency meeting. 

"So we've landed," Percy said. "What now?" 

Frank plucked his bowstring. "Figure out the prophecy? I mean... that was a prophecy Ella spoke, right? From the Sibylline Books?" 

"The what?" Leo asked. 

Frank explained how Ella was freakishly good at memorizing books, and had at some point inhaled the collection of ancient prophecies that had supposedly been destroyed around the fall of Rome. 

"That's why you didn't tell the Romans," Leo guessed. "You didn't want them to get hold of her." 

Camilla nodded. "Ella's sensitive. She was a captive when we found her. We didn't want her..." 

Percy made a fist. "It doesn't matter now. I sent Tyson an Iris-message, told him to take Ella to Camp Half-Blood. They'll be safe there." 

Camilla hoped that was true, though she couldn't be sure. 

Annabeth laced her fingers. "Let me think about the prophecy—but right now we have more immediate problems. We have to get this ship fixed. Leo, what do we need?" 

"The easiest thing is tar," Leo said. "We can get that in the city, at a roofing-supply store or someplace like that. Also, Celestial bronze and lime. According to Festus, we can find both of those on an island in the lake, just west of here." 

"We'll have to hurry," Hazel warned. "If I know Octavian, he's searching for us with his auguries. The Romans will send a strike force after us. It's a matter of honor." 

Leo cast his eyes to the tabletop. "Guys... I don't know what happened. Honestly, I—" 

Annabeth raised her hand. "We've been talking. We agree it couldn't have been you, Leo. That cold feeling you mentioned... I felt it too. It must have been some sort of magic, either Octavian or Gaea or one of her minions. But until we understand what happened—"

Frank grunted. "How can we be sure it won't happen again?" 

"I'm fine now," Leo insisted. "Maybe we should use the buddy system. Nobody goes anywhere alone. We can leave Piper and Coach Hedge on board with Jason. Send one team into town to get tar. Another team can go after the bronze and the lime." 

"Split up?" Percy said. "That sounds like a really bad idea." 

"It'll be quicker," Hazel put in. "Besides, there's a reason a quest is usually limited to three or four demigods, right?" 

Annabeth raised her eyebrows, as if reappraising Hazel's merits. "You're right. The same reason we needed the Argo II... outside camp, eight demigods in one place will attract way too much monstrous attention. The ship is designed to conceal and protect us. We should be safe enough on board; but if we go on expeditions, we shouldn't travel in groups larger than four. No sense alerting more of Gaea's minions than we have to." 

Percy still didn't look happy about it, but he took Annabeth's hand. "As long as you're my buddy, I'm good." 

Hazel smiled. "Oh, that's easy. Frank, you were amazing, turning into a dragon! Could you do it again to fly Annabeth and Percy into town for tar?" 

Frank opened his mouth like he wanted to protest. "I... I suppose. But what about you?" 

"I'll ride Arion with Milla and Sa—Leo, here." She fidgeted nervously with her sword hilt. "We'll get the bronze and lime. We can all meet back here by dark."