00

Prologue

〰️

The prince raced over the beach heading for the forest. Behind him he could hear the sounds of his uncle's soldiers following him. They were gaining on him and so the prince urged on his horse, Destier. The black stallion turned his canter into a gallop at the command of his rider.

The two reached the forest, riding through the trees and hiding in the foliage. The soldiers wouldn't dare follow him into here. Or so he thought.

With no way to escape, Prince Caspian hurried on, deeper into the forest, in the thicker and darker parts of the forest. Never had he been this far into the forest and as it became denser, Caspian's panic grew.

As he turned to see where his pursuers were, it just so happened that he didn't see the branch. When he turned back to face the way he was going, the low branch struck him across the head. He was thrown from the saddle but his foot was still attached to the stirrup.

Destier dragged him through the forest a few yards before Caspian was able to pull himself free. He lay there in the leaves and dirt, collecting himself as his head thumped from the collision from the branch.

A sudden movement to his right made him turn his throbbing head. He started instantly at the sight that fell upon his eyes. Two dwarves had come out of an opening in a tree and were now staring at him.

The one with a black beard drew his sword and pointed it at Caspian. "He's seen us!"

The second one with a red beard ran towards Caspian with his sword drawn but at the sound of a hunting horn, he changed direction. The soldiers chasing Caspian had emerged from the forest and the red dwarf turned to the black dwarf.

"Take care of him!" And then he bravely ran towards the oncoming soldiers.

There was a split second where Caspian and the dwarf stared at each other, before Caspian grabbed the magic horn, his tutor had given him.

"No!" yelled the dwarf but it was too late as Caspian pressed it to his lips and blew for help.

Many miles away, the Great Lion stirred in his slumber at the sound. It seemed it was time for the five to finally return.