chapter 4

Colton wanted Holly to believe that Apollo was still alive. He was almost desperate for her to believe it. Over and over he would say, "We know he's out there," but he refused to say who 'we' was. As far as Holly knew, Colton and Skye were the only ones who believed in the whole conspiracy.

Colton also believed that it was possible that Zion, Apollo's VP, and Viv, a girl who ran for president last year, were still alive.

It seemed like a whole lot of BS to Holly.

But the videos did peak her interest. And it had been a long time since anything had done that.

Holly wanted nothing more than to confront the power couple of the school, Mister Kaisus Demetrias the Third himself, and his partner in crime, Levi Naudex. Colton, however, insisted furiously that she shouldn't -- it was too dangerous. But Holly thrived with danger, actively seeked it. Besides, Colton should have known by the little reputation that Holly had built that she was not one for listening to others.

Though, Kaisus' parents would be an issue. His status would be an issue. If anything happened to him, or his parents, it would be national.

Holly didn't like when others had more power than her -- and bug eyed Kaisus had far more power than she did.

It sucked. Ass.

Major ass.

But she didn't have to hurt Kaisus in any physical way. She could confront him in more subtle, less obvious ways. Play with his mind a little. Get into his head, make him paranoid. It was a hobby Holly had neglected since the move to South Carolina, but just thinking about it made her blood rush.

She would play him like a fiddle. She would be Nero as he would be Rome.

In the meantime, Holly debated her outfit -- a short, black dress that clung to her body, or a casual summer outfit. Despite lacking the knowledge of whose birthday it was, the blonde teen had decided to go anyway. Luka had given her the address in case she had changed her mind. Colton told her he didn't do parties, and Holly sure as hell was not going to show up with a freshman. So like the typical budding Einstein, she decided she would go alone.

Holly grabbed a tie-dye white and pink cropped shirt, then a pair of black jean shorts. She was determined to not let the summer-like heat ruin her night.

This party was about more than having some fun, though. Half the school would probably show up -- it was all any of them wanted to talk about. Holly was confident she could get some information out of them about the presidential race. Who knew little conservative, religious South Carolina could have such mystery.

After changing, Holly grabbed her phone. Her Uber was close. She scurried down the wide, carpeted staircase of the Victorian house she hated. Her blue eyes looked around in the dark space.

One thing she particularly disliked about this house was how closed off it was. There was a separate room for every section of the house. Dining room was enclosed, and the kitchen was cut off. A sitting room with two exits, a living room that was hidden among all the doors and walls. Floor covered in thick, ugly, purple carpet.

Under a large wooden door dim blue light glowed. Holly walked over to the door slowly, her sneakers muffled by the carpet. Her small, veiny hand reached out for the handle, the metal creaking as she turned it. Holly pushed the door open just a few inches. She peaked her blue eyes in.

Her father's head was thrown back over the edge of the couch, a small snore escaping his gaping mouth. Her mother was entangled in his legs, her short, dirty blonde head laying on the opposite end, sleeping peacefully. On the TV screen, sharks swum around parts of people.