5. Cook

"Why the fuck did you tell Freddie we'd come Ayla" complains Katie as the girls glance into the dreary-looking tavern where Cook, Freddie and JJ stand chatting away. The place is decorated with balloons and streamers yet looks as dull as ever.

"We had to come. Its Cook's birthday" says Ayla as Effy passes her a cigarette. Ayla thanks Effy and sparks it up. Emily, Katie, Ayla, Effy and Panda had been hanging out all week at College and had seemly formed quite a solid group. Naomi occasionally sat with them but was always ushered away by Katie.

"I don't know why you're actually going," Katie says to Ayla, crossing her arms and looking at her. "Cook acts weird as fuck around you".

"He's playing hard to get Katie," says Effy as she blows out a cloud of smoke "Don't know Cook that well but never seen him do shit like this with anyone else. He must want that fuck very badly". Ayla doesn't say anything as she looks at Cook through the window once more. Panda takes a drag from Effy's cigarette and coughs loudly. 

"Look's like right shit in there," says Katie as the girl's inch closer to the entrance.

"Looks like somewhere you'd find Danny on a Friday night" replies Ayla bluntly

"Can you shut up? At least I have a boyfriend" says Katie pushing past Ayla and flinging the door to the tavern open violently. The other girls follow after her in single file.

"Ayyyy" Cook says in excitement of the girl's arrival. "Look at that." Cook says to JJ and Freddie as he walks towards the girls "Quality totty. That's top-shelf shit." Cook's eyes dart past Ayla and towards Effy. "Hey baby," he says to Effy cupping the back of her head, making Freddie flinch.

"I'm so happy to introduce you to my legendary night out in celebration of my birthday" he grins looking towards the bar before glancing over to the entrance as a random guy walks in. "Apart from you," Cook says pointing to him angrily "What are you doing here? You burnt my house man get out!" he yells shoving him out the door violently and shutting it behind them. Ayla looks over to Emily and scoffs.

"What the fuck" Katie says softly as Cook turns back around to face them.

"I'm seventeen today so all bets are off," he says looking at Effy. "Do whatever the fuck you like. Flush your mates down the toilet, eat grapes off each other, smash speakers over your heads. If partying is a crime, who's going to get arrested first.?" he says as he turns towards the bar and picks up his second pint. I think they all knew the answer to that question. "Let's go fucking mental!" he cheers, jumping up and down, tilting his head back and pouring the pint into his mouth, spilling most of it down his chest. Everyone steps back as beer splatters everywhere. "Party people!".

-

Ten minutes later the eight of them are sitting around a table in the corner of the pub singing happy birthday to Cook. Ayla sings a little louder than the others, trying to lighten the mood and pull everyone out of the depressive slump them seem to be in. She didn't want Cook to have a shit birthday even though he was a sleazy bastard.

"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellllooowwww and so say all of us" they all stop singing as Cook grins and kisses JJ's cheek.

"Fucking top guys. Thanks very much" he chuckles before he looks at Ayla, wiping his smile away "except you, need more energy," he says before looking back towards the bar and licking his lips.

"Surely he's taking the piss? I was the only one who fucking sung pretty much" Ayla whispers to Emily her eyes furrowed in annoyance.

"What's next?" Cook says wrapping his arm around Freddie's shoulder. "Oh yeah... more drinks, more drinks, more drinks," he says banging the table "Yeah?" he asks and everyone mutters back unenthusiastically. Cook gets up and squeezes past Ayla even though it would've been easier for him to get out the other way.

"He's fun," says Katie sarcastically the second Cook is out of earshot.

"You have no idea," says Freddie reaching for his pint.

"He's already had half a bottle of vodka" chuckles JJ nervously.

"Really? How crazy" replies Effy sarcastically widening her eyes as JJ chuckles in embarrassment and looks down. Cook waltzes back over with a tray of shots

"Tequila," he says. "Who's in?" he asks

"Yeah okay" replies Freddie dully as Cook sits back down. Cook gives him a crooked grin.

"Sure," says Ayla. Cook doesn't say anything to her.

"Anyone else?" he asks. Panda and Effy both say yes, Cook looking at them with admiration.

"Yess Eff and weird girl" he claps. "Let's go, man," he says looking at Freddie. Effy, Panda and Ayla down a few shots but Cook ploughs through most, howling after each one. After the shots are finished everyone sits silently for a minute.

"Hey Cook, do you wanna see your birthday trick?" asks JJ excitedly.

"Lay it on me, magic man," Cook says swinging his arm around JJ's shoulder and wiping his mouth.

"One pint of normal drinking water," says JJ as he holds up a pint of water for everyone to see before covering it with a tea towel. A few moments later he pulls the tea towel away from the glass to reveal a goldfish swimming in its waters. Cook looks shocked for a moment as everyone chuckles and admires JJ's talents.

"You're exactly how I remember you J" Ayla grins as she looks at him. The mood was lightening up a bit.

"SHAZAM MOTHERFUCKER" yells Cook as he takes the glass from JJ's hand and starts gulping down the water. Everyone groans in disgust as Cook chugs down the entire glass of water and the fish along with it. He burps and without warning Pandora chunders on the table.

"Are you all right Panda?" asks Ayla looking at Panda in concern

"Yeah of course" she grins "Why wouldn't I be?" Panda replies wiping her mouth. Cook cheers her on as he puts his head down to the table to sniff her vomit.

"Someone's been drinking... milkshake." he says looking up to Panda. "Strawberry milkshake am I right?". Ayla looks at Cook in disgust.

"Yeah how did you know?" asks Panda looking slightly worried. Cook stands up with a proud grin on his face.

"Am I a ninja or am I not a ninja?" he asks, moving towards the bar once more "Christina. We've had rejection. We need a bucket, a mop and sixteen shots of teQUILLAAAA!!!!!" he shrieks. The lingering smell of Panda's 'strawberry milkshake' vomit was making Ayla regret sitting next to her, so she checked on Panda once more before manoeuvring her way to the other side of the table to sit next to Freddie.